How to find the distance of a satellite with respect to the moon

In summary, the question asks for the distance above the surface of the moon at which a satellite should be placed in order to remain stationary with respect to the moon's surface. This can be determined by equating the gravitational acceleration to the centripetal acceleration and solving for the radius of the satellite's orbit. The equations for velocity and acceleration can be used, along with the known values for the radius and mass of the moon, to find the necessary information for solving the problem.
starplaya

Homework Statement

How far above the surface of the moon should a satellite be placed so that it is stationary with respect tot the moons surface.

Radius of moon = 1737.4 kilometers
mass of moon = 7.36 x 10^22 kilograms
Gravitational Constant = 6.67 x 10^ -11 N x m^2/kg6@

Homework Equations

w = 2pi / T = 2pi/ 2332800 seconds (27 days/period of the moon)
v = w x Radius of satellite
(Ms) Vs^2/Rs = G Mm/Rs^2
Vs^2/Rs = (Gn) Mm/ Rs^2)

Mm = mass of moon
Rm = radius of moon
Ms = mass of satellite
Rs = Radius of satellite
etc...

The Attempt at a Solution

w = 2pi/ 233280 = 2.7 x 10^-6
I'm completely lost after this step. It seems like I don't have enough information

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, that's all the information you could have isn't it?

The way I would do it (because I'm more mathematics than physics) is set up parametric equations for the satellite's orbit:
[itex]x= r cos(\omega t)[/itex]
[itex]y= r sin(\omega t)[/itex]

The velocity of the satellite is given by
[itex]v_x= -r\omega sin(\omega t)[/itex]
[itex]v_y= r\omega cos(\omega t)[/itex]

And the acceleration by
[itex]a_x= -r\omega^2 cos(\omega t)[/itex]
[itex]a_y= -r\omega^2 sin(\omega t)[/itex]

And now the magnitude of the acceleration is the same as the force of gravity on the satellite due to the moon (divided by the mass of the satellite):
[tex]\frac{GM}{r^2}[/tex]
where G is the "universal gravitational constant) (NOT "g", the acceleration due to gravity on the Earth's surface) and M is the mass of the moon. The mass of the satellite is, of course, irrelevant.

HallsofIvy said:
Well, that's all the information you could have isn't it?

The way I would do it (because I'm more mathematics than physics) is set up parametric equations for the satellite's orbit:
[itex]x= r cos(\omega t)[/itex]
[itex]y= r sin(\omega t)[/itex]

The velocity of the satellite is given by
[itex]v_x= -r\omega sin(\omega t)[/itex]
[itex]v_y= r\omega cos(\omega t)[/itex]

And the acceleration by
[itex]a_x= -r\omega^2 cos(\omega t)[/itex]
[itex]a_y= -r\omega^2 sin(\omega t)[/itex]

And now the magnitude of the acceleration is the same as the force of gravity on the satellite due to the moon (divided by the mass of the satellite):
[tex]\frac{GM}{r^2}[/tex]
where G is the "universal gravitational constant) (NOT "g", the acceleration due to gravity on the Earth's surface) and M is the mass of the moon. The mass of the satellite is, of course, irrelevant.

I am still having a lot of trouble figuring this particular question out.

What's the rotation rate of the moon?

27 days

I really have been putting in a ton of effort into this question folks. I spent 30min of the hour and a half it took me to do all of my physics on this one question.

Please, any detailed help would be greatly appreciated

Hint: Equate gravitational acceleration to centripetal acceleration.

You'll need to determine an expression for either the angular velocity or linear velocity to use with the centripetal acceleration expression (depending upon whether you use the angular or linear tangential form of the centripetal acceleration formula).

Follow Gneill's advice. Assume that the centre of rotation of the satellite is the centre of mass of the moon (it is really the centre of mass of the moon and satellite, but that is very, very close to the cm of the moon).

Then it is just a matter of plugging in your numbers to determine the radius or orbit.

AM

Don't I at least need the velocity. I mean I can see myself deriving everything with slightly more information, but with absolutely nothing given to me, I'm stunned.

Where are you stuck? You've written down the correct equations. You know the velocity in terms of w(which you know) and Rs. So the only thing missing is Rs. Substitute vs = w Rs into your last equation and solve for Rs.

starplaya said:
Don't I at least need the velocity
Yes. You know the period of rotation, in seconds, and radius is what you're working at finding, so keep it at Rs.

Vs^2/Rs = (Gn) Mm/ Rs^2

I don't know what the n signifies, but that looks like the best of your equations, and you'll recognize that the only actual unknown is Rs.

It's a good idea to carry the units along all the way, with every equation, so you keep a check that you are adhering to the correct units.

Think as you set on a long stick and ur friend is away from you who is setting on the stick too the stick is fixed in the middle and the ends oscillate up and down like kids game in the garden.
You will see him stationary. Because you both are moving with same angular velocity. So ! Use this logic to solve ur problem

OP is almost 2 years old. I doubt if the poster has been waiting around for further replies.

1. What is the formula for calculating the distance of a satellite with respect to the moon?

The formula for calculating the distance of a satellite with respect to the moon is d = r + h, where d is the total distance, r is the radius of the moon, and h is the altitude of the satellite.

2. How do you measure the altitude of a satellite?

The altitude of a satellite can be measured using a variety of methods, such as radar, laser ranging, or GPS. These methods involve sending a signal to the satellite and measuring the time it takes for the signal to return. By using the speed of light, the altitude can be calculated.

3. Can the distance of a satellite to the moon vary?

Yes, the distance of a satellite to the moon can vary. This can be due to changes in the orbit of the satellite, gravitational influences from other bodies, or human intervention such as maneuvers or adjustments.

4. How accurate are the distance calculations of satellites to the moon?

The accuracy of distance calculations for satellites to the moon depends on the method used for measurement and the technology being used. Generally, these calculations are very precise, with a margin of error of only a few meters.

5. Why is it important to know the distance of a satellite to the moon?

Knowing the distance of a satellite to the moon is important for a variety of reasons. It can help with navigation and communication with the satellite, as well as for making precise calculations for things like orbital maneuvers and scientific research. It also allows us to track changes in the satellite's orbit and monitor any potential hazards or malfunctions.