1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another problem that I guessed right.

1. Jan 2, 2007 #1
    -_- I'm getting annoyed and I suppose that you guys are too of problems that I don't know exactly how it works!! I've made educated guesses and apparently have guessed this one right.

Here goes:
    If 2lx+3l=4 and ly+1l/3=2, then lx+yl could equal each of the following EXCEPT:

a) 0
    b) 4
    c) 8
    d) 10
    e) 12

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 2, 2007 #2
    Oops, the correct answer is D and I think this is because the other numbers are divisble by 4 and 2 except 10?? lol Can anyone tell me a way of solving this numerically? Plug in numbers? solve for x and y? Please also state the way you think is most efficient. Thanks!

4. Jan 2, 2007 #3
    Solve for x in both expressions. Since you have an absolute, there is 2 solutions to each expression. There is a total of 4 combinations for x + y, find all of them and deduce which answer is wrong. And by the way, why don't you make a thread where you can post all your questions? No need to make 3 threads. :tongue2:

Last edited: Jan 2, 2007
  5. Jan 2, 2007 #4
    haha ok, yeah I solved it thanks!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?