Another Stern-Gerlach Question

In summary, the Wikipedia article about the Stern-Gerlach experiment describes how an electron passing through a device oriented along the Z-axis will hit a screen on the other side in either the upper or lower location, depending on its spin state. While it may seem that the electron could be in an infinite number of spin states, quantum mechanics dictates that the spin measurement will yield a value of either +hbar/2 or -hbar/2 about the axis of measurement. The Stern-Gerlach magnet, which is oriented along the Z-axis, forces an interaction and measurement of the z-component of the spin. This is evident in the measurement of the position on the screen where the electron hits, which reveals information about the spin about
msumm21
As described in the Wikipedia article about the Stern-Gerlach experiment, if an electron passes through the (Z-axis oriented) device it will hit a screen on the other side in one of 2 possible locations, call them the upper and lower locations. Sometimes the electron is "spin up" about the z-axis and it hits the screen in the upper location, other times it is "spin down" and hits the screen in the lower location.

This seems to imply that the electron is in the spin up or spin down state about the z-axis, but why can't it be in the spin up state about the x-axis or in any of the other infinite number of states? I know that a measurement of the spin about the z-axis will cause the spin state to be up or down about the z-axis, but I don't see that measurement taking place. I agree that the measurement of the location of the electron when it hits the screen gives away information about the spin (and therefore constitutes a spin measurement), but I don't see why that measurement is about the Z-axis. Why can't the electron hit the screen in other locations that are consistent with other spin orientations?

Looks like the total magnitude of the spin of an electron is sqrt(3)*hbar/2 and, when measured, its spin about a particular axis is either +hbar/2 or -hbar/2 (so there is another component of magnitude hbar/sqrt(2) in the plane normal to the axis of measurement). So, for example, why can't the electron hit the screen with no z-axis deflection corresponding to maybe a state with hbar/2 about the x-axis and hbar/sqrt(2) about the y-axis?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Because this is quantum mechanics. A spin-1/2 particle that is 100% polarized in the x-direction has a 50% chance of having it's spin measured in the +z direction and 50% chance of having its spin measured in the -z direction.

Vanadium 50 said:
Because this is quantum mechanics. A spin-1/2 particle that is 100% polarized in the x-direction has a 50% chance of having it's spin measured in the +z direction and 50% chance of having its spin measured in the -z direction.

Of course I've read that, if it's in the state |up_x> (or |down_x>) then a subsequent measurement of the spin about the z axis it will put it in either the |up_z> or |down_z> state with a 50% chance of each. My question is when (in the Stern-Gerlach experiment) did the spin about the z-axis get measured? The only measurement I see is the measurement of the position at which the electron hit the screen, which does yield information about the spin, but not necessarily about the z-axis ... please see the original message where I explain my question.

Since the field of the Stern-Gerlach magnet is along the z-direction it forces an interaction (and measurement) of the z-component of the spin.

OK. I think I was mistaken in my last message when I said "which does yield information about the spin, but not necessarily about the z axis." Even if you were to imagine the particle as passing through the device in the |up_x> state, and therefore with a spin ranging from -hbar/sqrt(2) to +hbar/sqrt(2) about the z-axis, you would still be able to determine the amount of spin about the z-axis by the z position of the particle on the screen, so you are measuring the spin about the z axis when the particle hits the screen, so it must one of the two values hbar/2 or -hbar/2. Thanks.

What is another Stern-Gerlach question?

Another Stern-Gerlach question is a question related to the famous Stern-Gerlach experiment, which demonstrated the quantization of angular momentum in atoms. The experiment involves passing a beam of particles through a spatially varying magnetic field and observing the deflection of the particles.

How does the Stern-Gerlach experiment work?

In the Stern-Gerlach experiment, a beam of particles, typically silver atoms, is passed through a magnetic field. The particles have an intrinsic angular momentum, or spin, which can only take on certain discrete values. When the particles pass through the magnetic field, they are deflected in different directions depending on their spin orientation, thus demonstrating the quantization of angular momentum.

What are the implications of the Stern-Gerlach experiment?

The Stern-Gerlach experiment confirmed the existence of discrete energy levels in atoms, which was a key discovery in the development of quantum mechanics. It also provided evidence for the existence of intrinsic angular momentum in particles, known as spin, which has since been incorporated into our understanding of particle physics.

What other experiments are related to the Stern-Gerlach experiment?

There are several experiments that build upon the principles of the Stern-Gerlach experiment, including the double-slit experiment, the Compton effect, and the Franck-Hertz experiment. These experiments also demonstrate the wave-particle duality of matter and the quantization of energy.

What practical applications does the Stern-Gerlach experiment have?

The principles of the Stern-Gerlach experiment have been applied in many areas of physics, including the development of magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) technology, which uses magnetic fields to produce images of the inside of the human body. It has also been used in the development of quantum computers, which rely on the principles of quantum mechanics to perform calculations.