Another Understanding question (not homework)

• Thread starter quickslant
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
In summary, the discovery of elementary particles relied on advancements in particle accelerator technology because these particles needed to be broken apart in order to understand their makeup. The larger the particle, the more energy was required to reach their collision energies. This is discussed in detail in "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking.
quickslant
Another comprehension question is for me to understand why the discovery of elementary (fundamental) particles depended on advances in particle accelerator technology?

Can somone explain this to me?

Physics news on Phys.org
you might want to read a brief history of time by hawking. it goes into detail about particle acceleration and other things. i just read it myself but barely understood anything.

-Amy

I think that the simple answer is that you generally have to break things apart to find what they are made of. And the binding energies of smaller, more fundamental particles are large enough, that it takes bigger and bigger accelerators to reach those collision energies.

lol.. i figured it out.. thanks..

Huge energies (accelerations) are required to produce these particles. You might want to look at the rest mass of some of the fundamental particles

What is the purpose of asking "Another Understanding question (not homework)"?

The purpose of asking "Another Understanding question (not homework)" is to gain a deeper understanding or clarification on a topic or concept. It is a way to further explore and expand one's knowledge on a subject.

How can I ensure that my "Another Understanding question (not homework)" is clear and well-received?

To ensure that your "Another Understanding question (not homework)" is clear and well-received, make sure to provide enough context and background information. Use clear and concise language, and avoid using jargon or technical terms that may be unfamiliar to others. It is also helpful to ask for feedback or clarification if needed.

Can "Another Understanding question (not homework)" be used in a professional setting?

Yes, "Another Understanding question (not homework)" can be used in a professional setting. It is a valuable tool for gaining knowledge and understanding in any field or industry. However, it is important to use appropriate language and tone when asking these questions in a professional setting.

Is it okay to ask multiple "Another Understanding question (not homework)" about the same topic?

Yes, it is perfectly acceptable to ask multiple "Another Understanding question (not homework)" about the same topic. In fact, it can be helpful in gaining a comprehensive understanding of the subject. However, it is important to be considerate and not ask repetitive questions that have already been answered.

How can "Another Understanding question (not homework)" benefit my learning and growth as a scientist?

"Another Understanding question (not homework)" can benefit your learning and growth as a scientist by allowing you to deepen your understanding of complex concepts and theories. It also encourages critical thinking and promotes a curious and inquisitive mindset, which are essential skills for any scientist.