1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Antennas in Western Europe

1. Nov 26, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This problem has even stumped my Physics tutor.

"Explain why TV receiver arrays in densely populated areas (eg, Western Europe) have both horizontal and vertical antennas."

2. Relevant equations

N/a

3. The attempt at a solution Unable to find any information on this question - however welcome guidence in this area - and what source you know of that can assist me in my research?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2009 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The receiving antenna has to be oriented so that it is perpendicular to the plane of vibration of the radio wave in order to maximize the signal that is received. In a densely populated area, the radio waves may bounce off different surfaces such as buildings before they reach the receiving antenna and this will change the orientation of the reflected radio waves.

AM

4. Dec 6, 2009 #3
    Hi Andrew

My apologies for the delay in my response.

Many thanks for the reply

Cheers

5. Dec 6, 2009 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I would have thought you want to avoid the reflective radio waves.
    It was a problem when I lived in London that you have echoes on the picture.

Doesn't the question mean that different houses have either vertical or horizontal - because different transmitters are either H or V to stop signals form nearby transmitters interferring

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook