1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Anti-commutation of parity operator

1. Apr 22, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The parity operator is defined as [tex]P \psi (x) = \psi (-x)[/tex]. Show that [tex]P[/tex] and [tex]p_x[/tex] anti-commute, that is, [tex] \{ P,p_x \} = Pp_x + p_xP = 0 [/tex].

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]P \psi (x) = \psi (-x)[/tex]
    [tex]p_x = - i \hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial x}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    [tex] \{ P,p_x \} \psi(x) = ( Pp_x + p_xP ) \psi(x) = -i \hbar \left[ P \frac{\partial}{\partial x} \psi (x) + \frac{\partial}{\partial x} [ P \psi (x) ]\right] = -i \hbar \left[ \frac{\partial}{\partial (-x)} \psi (-x) + \frac{\partial}{\partial x} \psi (-x) \right] = -i \hbar \left[ - \frac{\partial}{\partial x} \psi (-x) + \frac{\partial}{\partial x} \psi (-x) \right] = 0 [/tex]

Is it valid to say that [tex] P \frac{\partial}{\partial x} \psi (x) = \frac{\partial}{\partial (-x)} \psi (-x) [/tex] ?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2010 #2
    for the part where you found (pxP) this one is correct ..

as for your question, I wont say that im 100% sure that it is valid .. but I would say that im 80% agree with what you suggested in order to get your answer ..

what I know about the parity operator is that when you apply it on psi(x) you get psi(-x), so whenever you have x you simply change it to -x and vice versa (that would be applied to other things such as velocity and force) ..
  4. Apr 22, 2010 #3
    I'm under the impression that the parity operator transforms [tex]x \rightarrow -x[/tex].

Let's say that [tex] f(x) = \frac{\partial \psi (x) }{\partial x}[/tex] .

Then [tex]P f(x) = f(-x) = \frac{\partial \psi (-x) }{\partial (-x)} = - \frac{\partial \psi (-x) }{\partial x}[/tex] , right?

I feel that something is wrong here.
  5. Apr 22, 2010 #4
    I told you im not 100% sure .. but i still think it is right the way you did ..

hopefully there would be someone else to confirm what I think ..
  6. Apr 22, 2010 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Right. I don't see anything wrong. Use a trial function of x, like a few terms of a polynomial, that doesn't have definite parity and see how it works.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook