Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Anti-derivatives and Elementary Functions

1. Sep 10, 2009 #1
    I've seen this many times: someone will post a homework question asking them to prove something about an integral [tex] \int_a^b f(t) dt [/tex], where f is some arbitrary, continuous, integrable function. They will write in their proof, [tex] \int_a^b f(t) dt = F(b) - F(a) [/tex] where they're assuming F is the anti-derivative of f. They will get told that they cannot assume that f has an anti-derivative.

My question now is, if f is continuous and integrable, then doesn't it follow from the FTC that there exists a function F such that F' = f? You may not be able to express F in terms of elementary functions, but F still must exist, right? So why can't the student write in their proof [tex] \int_a^b f(t) dt = F(b) - F(a) [/tex]???

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2009 #2
    Eh are you referring to these forums (if so then okay I guess I haven't looked that closely)? I'm not sure if this entirely relates to the situation you are referring to, but I think that many people who take a first calculus course, say AP Calculus, tend to think that the equation you refer to is the definition of an integral. I think I have made this mistake before back when I didn't have a rigorous understanding of riemann integration. But yeah, if your function is continuous (and hence integrable, but we want continuity), then an antiderivative is guaranteed, but just note that F will not be any simpler than a function of the form [itex]\int_{c}^{x}f(t)\,dt,[/itex] if there is no way of expressing the antiderivative in terms of elementary functions.

4. Sep 11, 2009 #3
    I think what is usually said is that f has no elementary anti-derivative.

Usually, the case is that OP wants to evaluate an integral exactly by using the FTC. But this doesn't work. Sure enough, the FTC holds, and

[tex]
    \int_a^b f(t) dt = F(b) - F(a)
    [/tex]

but no progress is made in the problem, because it won't give any help as to how to evaluate F(b) and F(a).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook