Antiderivative and contour integration

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the fundamental theorem of calculus to calculate the value of a contour integral directly. It is suggested that if a function has an antiderivative on the entire complex plane, integrals can be computed using the fundamental theorem of calculus. The Cauchy integral theorem is mentioned as a proof for this concept. The participants in the conversation also note that they have not seen any examples of this being done, but it is confirmed that this method does work.
Incand
I'm wondering if this could be used to calculate the value of a contour integral directly. If a function has an antiderivative on the entire complex plane, this implies the field is conservative so we should always get the same value no matter which path taken. Shouldn't this also mean integrals could just be computed by the fundamental theorem of calculus as
##\int_\gamma f(z)dz = F(z)\bigg|_{z_1}^{z_2}##
where the curve is from ##z=z_1## to ##z=z_2##?

Yet I haven't actually seen a single example of this being done, every integral is computed by parametrization of the contour integral. Just doing a few examples It seems to work but doesn't this always work?

Physics news on Phys.org
So we can start with these assumptions:

1) ##F'(z)=f(z)## (there is the antiderivative)
2) We have a contour ##\gamma## that we can assume an arc of the circle ( as example from ##\alpha_{1}## to ##\alpha_{2}##).

So ##\int_{\gamma}f(z)dz=\int_{\alpha_{1}}^{\alpha_{2}}f(e^{i\theta})ie^{i\theta}d\theta=\int_{\alpha_{1}}^{\alpha_{2}}F'(e^{i\theta})ie^{i\theta}d\theta=##
##=\int_{\alpha_{1}}^{\alpha_{2}}[F(e^{i\theta})]'d\theta=F(e^{i\theta})|^{\alpha_{2}}_{\alpha_{1}}=F(z)|^{z_{2}}_{z_{1}}##

where ##z_{1}=e^{i\alpha_{1}},z_{2}=e^{i\alpha_{2}}##. So these cases it seems to works, I think this is the complex version of the fundamental theorem of calculus ...

Likes Incand
Incand said:
I'm wondering if this could be used to calculate the value of a contour integral directly. If a function has an antiderivative on the entire complex plane, this implies the field is conservative so we should always get the same value no matter which path taken. Shouldn't this also mean integrals could just be computed by the fundamental theorem of calculus as
##\int_\gamma f(z)dz = F(z)\bigg|_{z_1}^{z_2}##
where the curve is from ##z=z_1## to ##z=z_2##?

Yet I haven't actually seen a single example of this being done, every integral is computed by parametrization of the contour integral. Just doing a few examples It seems to work but doesn't this always work?
Yes, this is correct.
See the Wikipedia article for the Cauchy integral theorem for a precise statement:
Wikipedia said:
Let ##U## be a simply connected open subset of ##\mathbb C##, let ##f : U → \mathbb C## be a holomorphic function, and let γ be a piecewise continuously differentiable path in ##U## with start point a and end point b. If ##F## is a complex antiderivative of ##f##, then
$$\int_\gamma f(z)\,dz=F(b)-F(a)$$

Likes Incand
That's good to know! I found the proof for Cauchy formula actually usually uses this in the proof. It's quite weird never having seen any integrals evaluated this way but I guess the focus been on all of those where ##f## isn't entire.

1. What is an antiderivative?

An antiderivative is the reverse operation of differentiation. It is a function that when differentiated, gives the original function as its result.

2. How do you find an antiderivative?

To find an antiderivative, you can use the rules of integration, such as the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. You can also use tables of integrals or computer software to find antiderivatives.

3. What is contour integration?

Contour integration is a method used to evaluate integrals by transforming them into line integrals along a closed curve in the complex plane. It is useful for solving integrals that are difficult or impossible to solve using traditional methods.

4. How do you perform contour integration?

To perform contour integration, you need to choose a closed curve in the complex plane that contains the function you want to integrate. Then, you need to parameterize the curve and use the Cauchy Integral Formula to evaluate the integral.

5. What are some applications of antiderivatives and contour integration?

Antiderivatives and contour integration are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They are used to solve problems involving motion, optimization, and probability, among others. They are also used in the development of mathematical models and in the study of complex functions.