1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Antiderivative of a rational function

1. Nov 8, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider the integral:
    [tex]\int\frac{2x^3 -4x^2 +8x +7}{(x-1)^2 (x^2 +4x +8)}{\rm{d}}x[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    The degree of the denominator is 4 and the numerator's is 3, hence I thought I would try partial fractions:
    [tex]\frac{A}{x-1} +\frac{B}{(x-1)^2} +\frac{C}{x^2 +4x +8} = \frac{2x^3 -4x^2 +8x +7}{(x-1)^2 (x^2 +4x +8)}[/tex]multiplying both sides by the denominator on the right side we would have:
    [tex]A(x-1)(x^2 +4x +8) +B(x^2 +4x +8) +C(x-1)^2 = 2x^3 -4x^2 +8x +7\\Ax^3 +(3A +B +C)x^2 +(4A +4B -2C)x -(8A -8B -C) = 2x^3 -4x^2 +8x +7[/tex]
    So I should be able to conclude that A = 2, however, the problem is that on one hand I get that 3B = -10 and on the other hand, 10B = 23. Have I made a mistake in the calculations? Is any such rational function divisible [not sure if that's the correct word] into partial fractions?
    Is there any other method for tackling such a problem?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2014 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The last partial fraction should contain an additional first-order term in the numerator: [tex]\frac{A}{x-1} +\frac{B}{(x-1)^2} +\frac{Cx+D}{x^2 +4x +8} = \frac{2x^3 -4x^2 +8x +7}{(x-1)^2 (x^2 +4x +8)}[/tex]

4. Nov 8, 2014 #3
    Thank you, ehild, for the correction. Could you please explain why the last partial fraction should also contain the first-order term? I do not doubt your words, I can't fully understand the concept myself.
    Everything works out nicely, though.
    A = 0, B = 1, C = 2 and D = -1 and the rest is trivial.

5. Nov 8, 2014 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The denominator is of order 2, and you always need one order less in the numerator (for your (x-1)-type fractions, the A serves that purpose).

As a simple example, you cannot express ##\frac{5x+3}{x^2+4x+8}## with ##\frac{C}{x^2+4x+8}##.

6. Nov 8, 2014 #5

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

As you have a third-order polynomial in the numerator, it involves 4 equations when comparing its four coefficients with the expression obtained from the partial fractions. So you need 4 unknowns in general. Otherwise you might arrive at contradiction, as you experienced.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted