Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Antimatter - a kind of a matter?

1. Jan 13, 2010 #1
    I've been reading posts (already existing) about antimatter and someone wrote "Matter/antimatter collisions, appear to me, to violate the Law of conservation of matter and energy". I've learned from the answers and understand - its not true.
    I think now,that antimatter may be considered as kind of a matter just "charged opposit" to particular "sister" piece of a matter. Am I wrong?
    Thanks
    Matt

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2010 #2

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, that is basically correct. Antimatter is exactly the same thing as ordinary matter, expect that you've replaced every particle with its antiparticle.
    Also, there is no law that says that MASS has to be conserved (it isn't!), but energy is as you say always conserved.

4. Jan 13, 2010 #3
    Thanks.
    Is that also generally true that mass of antimatter's particle is the same as its "sister" matter particle?

5. Jan 13, 2010 #4
    Yes. The mass is generally the same for the matter-antimatter pairs. In fact, everything is the same, except for the charge and spin. They are, of course, opposite.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook