Any approximate analytical solution to this ode?

In summary, the conversation discusses a differential equation and the need for guidance on finding approximate solutions for it. The equation is separable and the classical method of resolution can be applied. The solution requires calculating an integral and using inverse functions. The use of MATLAB is mentioned, but an explicit solution was not found, so an approximation is sought.
albertshx
I'm working on this differential equation this few days... Could you give
some guidance on approximate solutions to it? i(t) is the only function
while all others are parameters.

[tex]\frac{di(t)}{dt} = -\lambda(\sigma\phi\sqrt{i(t)(1-i(t))} + N\mu i(t)(1-i(t))[/tex]

Thank you a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
The equation is not clearly written.
It seems that this ODE is on the "separable" kind. You may apply the classical method of resolution for this kind of equations.

\begin{array}{l}\frac{di(t)}{dt} = -\lambda(\sigma\phi\sqrt{i(t)(1-i(t))} + N\mu i(t)(1-i(t))\\
\frac{di(t)}{dt} = -\lambda\sigma\phi\sqrt{i(t)(1-i(t))} -N\lambda\mu i(t)(1-i(t))\\
\
-\lambda\sigma\phi=u\\
-N\lambda\mu=v\\
\frac{di(t)}{dt} = u\sqrt{i(t)(1-i(t))}+ vi(t)(1-i(t))\\
\frac{di(t)}{u\sqrt{i(t)(1-i(t))}+ vi(t)(1-i(t))} =dt \\
\int\frac{di(t)}{u\sqrt{i(t)(1-i(t))}+ vi(t)(1-i(t))}=\int dt\\
\int\frac{di(t)}{u\sqrt{i(t)(1-i(t))}+ vi(t)(1-i(t))}=t+c\\
t=\int\frac{di(t)}{u\sqrt{i(t)(1-i(t))}+ vi(t)(1-i(t))}-c\end{array}

Now you have to calculate that integral...
The solution from Wolfman Mathematica is the attached image(Log[x] is the natural log of x and tan^(-1)(x)=arctanx is the inverse trigonometric tan of x)

Replace x with i(t) and you have the inverse function, t(i). Finding the i(t) is up to you.

Attachments

• INTEGRAL.gif
    INTEGRAL.gif
    9.7 KB · Views: 501
Last edited:
Many, many thanks! You are much more careful than me. I just tried with MATLAB and dsolve reports explicit solution not found. So I look for some approximation.

1. What is an approximate analytical solution to an ODE?

An approximate analytical solution to an ODE is a mathematical expression that provides an estimate of the solution to the ODE, rather than an exact solution. It is obtained using analytical techniques such as Taylor series or perturbation methods.

2. Why would one need an approximate analytical solution to an ODE?

Sometimes, the exact solution to an ODE is too complex or impossible to obtain. In such cases, an approximate analytical solution can provide a good estimate of the solution, which can be useful for understanding the behavior of the system or for further analysis.

3. How accurate is an approximate analytical solution compared to the exact solution?

The accuracy of an approximate analytical solution depends on the method used and the complexity of the ODE. In general, the accuracy increases as the order of the method increases. However, it may still have a certain degree of error compared to the exact solution.

4. Are there any limitations to using an approximate analytical solution?

Yes, there are limitations to using an approximate analytical solution. It may not work for all types of ODEs and may not provide an accurate solution for highly nonlinear or chaotic systems. Additionally, the calculations involved may become very complex for higher order ODEs.

5. How can one verify the accuracy of an approximate analytical solution?

One way to verify the accuracy of an approximate analytical solution is to compare it with a numerical solution. The closer the values are, the more accurate the approximation is. Additionally, the solution can be checked for consistency with the initial conditions and any known behavior of the system.