1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Any employers\employees here willing to shed some light on BCIT's reputation?

1. Oct 18, 2011 #1
    I was thinking of applying to BCIT's Electrical Engineering program and I was curious what employers expect out of BCIT graduates in the Electrical Engineering Field and what they typically find with the grads (i.e work-habbits and if they are prepared or not for the work field.)

You can see a list of courses here:
    http://www.bcit.ca/study/programs/8030beng

Further, that course shares the same first year with the this: http://www.bcit.ca/study/programs/548adiplt [Broken]

I don't mind if you muster a response that isn't relavent to BCIT. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2011 #2

Mute

Homework Helper

I can't give you much advice or comment on BCIT's general reputation, but I can mention that I have a friend who went to BCIT and got a job in his field. It wasn't in electrical engineering but rather some sort of medical technology(/engineering?) 2 year program. His job is out in Saskatchewan, and I think he's been sent around to various places for training. Of course, he got his job a number of years ago now, so I don't know what the outlook for jobs is now (or would be in a few years when you graduate). So, I would wager BCIT has a good reputation and gets people jobs, but I don't know how an electrical engineering degree from BCIT's 2 year program would be viewed against someone with an electrical engineering degree from SFU or UBC.

4. Oct 18, 2011 #3
    I do agree with you in regards to the program length; however the bachelors in electrical engineering is 4 years (including the shared year with a diploma in Computer engineering technology)

I was thinking of applying to SFU but I hear the first three years are all book work. The difference between UBC\SFU etc and BCIT is that BCIT - or so I hear - employs a different learning strategy; its a lot more practice and, I assume, a little less theory. Also, I hear bcit is (in)famous for working their students really hard to get the courses done really fast.

5. Oct 18, 2011 #4

Mute

Homework Helper

Yeah, I mention SFU/UBC vs. BCIT merely to bring it up in case it is important - I don't know how employers view the different degrees, and all I really know about SFU's engineering programs is that a co-op work term is mandatory (at least, it used to be - I assume it still is but I don't know for sure).

6. Oct 18, 2011 #5
    Well, financially speaking at least, BCIT is really my best option; plus there is a very dramatic increase in competition over in SFU and UBC which I don't want to get myself involved in.

With that said, I would really like to confirm that this is the right choice for me because I can't afford (literally) to make a mistake in regards to my post-secondary education.

If someone doesn't mind, could they go over the course list and comment on it a bit - sorry I am pushing all this work on you guys I just don't know what to look for.

Thanks for your advice Mute :) .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook