Seeking Career Advise (Engineering, Physics, Molecular Biology)

In summary: However, there are many routes one can take to becoming a successful physicist. Q#2 Some research physicists do not have a graduate degree, but most do. The level of education required varies depending on the research area. However, most research physicists have a graduate degree in physics or a related field.
Astro
Hello,

While I'm reading though various threads here on PhysicsForums, I thought I'd make a post asking for some advice/insight from those who have already gone though the process of finishing a degree and gained valuable life experience. I have a few questions which I'll post at the latter half of this post.

I need to choose an undergraduate degree.

Engineering seems like it might be a good pragmatic choice. I'm just trying to decide what stream to take.

There's:
-- Biomedical and Electrical Engineering
-- Communications Engineering
-- Computer Systems Engineering
-- Electrical Engineering
-- Engineering Physics
-- Mechanical Engineering
and lastly,
-- Software Engineering

ENGINEERING AND PHYSICS QUESTIONS:
========================================
(Q#1) PREAMBLE: Engineering Physics:
The courses in Engineering Physics seem similar to those in BS (Bachelor of Science) Physics. According to accounts of BS (Bachelor of Science) Physics graduates on the internet, it's hard to get employment as a Physics graduate. In contrast, Engineering graduates generally have good employment prospects. However, I've yet to see a breakdown of salaries and employment prospects of Engineering graduates by Engineering program-types. The students statistics I've found show that the starting salaries of BS Physics graduates are on average about half of what the starting salaries of Engineers are.

(a) Since the Engineering Physics program is similar to BS Physics, would Engineering Physics graduates struggle to find employment the same way BS Physics graduates do?
(b) Would the stating salary of Engineering Physics (ie. EP) graduates be about the same as Software Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or Mechanical Engineering? Or, would EP graduates probably be expecting salaries closer to what BS Physics graduates makes?
(c) How is the work and jobs of Engineering Physics graduates different than that of BS Physicists? Please provide some examples if possible.

(Q#3) Any thoughts on Software Engineering vs a BS in Computer Science? Please consider all aspects, such as possible enjoyment, salaries, employability, etc..

(Q#4) For someone who's not sure what Engineering program to choose, from those I listed above, which would you recommend and which would you caution against taking, and why? Please consider all aspects, such as possible enjoyment, salaries, employability, etc.. I would also be curious to hear what people's experiences have been in each of the different Engineering streams.

(Q#5) Generally speaking, I'm interested in research--am I really going to go crazy in Engineering (vs going into Science) or am I just over-thinking things? I mean, I like a lot of things and I'm also good at computers. As you know, not everyone knows what they want to do. Also, there's rarely if ever a perfect career path out there. Therefore, choosing a career path is a bit like picking the best multiple choice answer. So, while I'm not entirely sure I want to go into Engineering, is it really that big of a deal in the end? I'm not all about money but when you consider the hardship one might have to endure with regard to employment prospects, moving, and relatively low salaries in the Sciences verses good prospects for Engineering, well, which of the two would you recommend? What has real life taught those of you who have been though all this and now can look back in retrospection?

----------------

I'm also considering going into BS Molecular Biology Program. My primary interest would be research, specifically genetic engineering, but I want to consider all angles before I jump into it.

BACHELOR OF SCIENCE MOLECULAR BIOLOGY QUESTIONS:
=================================================
(Q#1a) Would you say I almost certainly would need to get a Masters to ensure good employment prospects? How easy is it to get employment in Molecular Biology?
(Q#1b) How would employment prospects differ between a Bachelors and Masters with Molecular Biology? Ie. How are the jobs different, what would I be doing, where might I be working, etc. in both cases?
(2) Would I need to move a lot like BS Physics graduates do?
(3) What is the average starting salary of Molecular Biologists?
(4) Do Molecular Biologists struggle to find jobs just like BS Physics graduates?BACHELOR OF SCIENCE PHYSICS QUESTIONS:
(Q#1) Is it really true that to succeed as a BS Physicist you'd need to move a lot?
(Q#2) If you're primary interest in Physics in doing research, what is the minimum level of education you'd need? (I'm assuming at least Graduate-level?) //////////////////////

So, that concludes my questions for now. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Florida136 said:
BACHELOR OF SCIENCE PHYSICS QUESTIONS:
(Q#1) Is it really true that to succeed as a BS Physicist you'd need to move a lot?
(Q#2) If you're primary interest in Physics in doing research, what is the minimum level of education you'd need? (I'm assuming at least Graduate-level?)

Q#1 No. If by succeed you mean be marketable with a career type job then you need to do a graduate program of some sort. A physics BS by itself will not open many doors. You may need geographic flexibility, but that is not the same as moving a lot. The notion of moving a lot applies to getting your PhD, then post-docing, then doing permanent positions. This applies more to your question 2.

Q#2 Usually, a PhD. Often a couple post-docs afterwards too.

Thank you for your clear reply to my Physics questions ModusPwnd.

Anyone care to tackle my Engineering questions? I would really be curious for a comparison of people's experiences among the different Engineering streams and pros and cons against each stream.

I'll wade into the biology side of this.
BACHELOR OF SCIENCE MOLECULAR BIOLOGY QUESTIONS:
(Q#1a) Would you say I almost certainly would need to get a Masters to ensure good employment prospects? How easy is it to get employment in Molecular Biology?
(Q#1b) How would employment prospects differ between a Bachelors and Masters with Molecular Biology? Ie. How are the jobs different, what would I be doing, where might I be working, etc. in both cases?
(2) Would I need to move a lot like BS Physics graduates do?
(3) What is the average starting salary of Molecular Biologists?
(4) Do Molecular Biologists struggle to find jobs just like BS Physics graduates?​

Yes, you need a minimum of a Masters in Biology. Jobs are tight in this field, in my opinion supply exceeds demand. A Bachelors degree is considered to be a qualification as a technician in molecular biology. With a Masters degree, you can start in a supervisory role doing the same work, but managing the techs. You generally need a PhD for work with much independence. Generally this is wet lab work. It is possible to branch out into related fields.

Hello there,

First of all, it's great to see that you are considering a career in the fields of engineering, physics, and molecular biology. These are all exciting and rapidly advancing fields that offer a wide range of opportunities for those who are passionate about science and technology.

Regarding your questions about Engineering Physics, it is true that this program is similar to a BS in Physics. However, the engineering aspect of the degree can provide a more practical and applied approach to physics, making graduates more marketable in industries that require a strong understanding of both physics and engineering principles. In terms of employment prospects, it really depends on the specific industry and job market. I would recommend researching the job market in your area and speaking with professionals in the field to get a better understanding of the demand for Engineering Physics graduates.

In terms of salary, it is difficult to compare Engineering Physics to other engineering programs as it can vary depending on the industry and job role. However, in general, engineering graduates tend to have higher starting salaries compared to physics graduates. As for the differences between the work and jobs of Engineering Physics graduates and BS Physicists, it really depends on the specific job and industry. However, Engineering Physics graduates may have a more hands-on and practical approach to problem-solving, while BS Physicists may have a more theoretical and research-focused approach.

Regarding Software Engineering vs a BS in Computer Science, both programs can lead to fulfilling careers in the technology industry. However, the key difference is that Software Engineering tends to focus more on the practical application of computer science concepts, while a BS in Computer Science may have a more theoretical and research-oriented approach. In terms of employability and salary, it really depends on the job market and the specific skills and experience you bring to the table.

As for your question about which engineering program to choose, it really depends on your interests and strengths. I would recommend researching each program in more detail and speaking with professionals in the field to get a better understanding of the day-to-day work and job prospects. It's also important to consider what you enjoy and what you are passionate about, as this can greatly impact your success and satisfaction in your career.

Moving on to your questions about a BS in Molecular Biology, it is true that a Master's degree may be necessary for certain job roles and industries. However, this also depends on your specific career goals and the job market in your area. In terms of employment prospects, molecular biology is a rapidly growing field with a

1. What steps should I take to advance my career in engineering?

The first step is to identify your career goals and what you want to achieve in your field. Then, build a strong foundation by obtaining relevant education and skills through formal education or on-the-job training. Networking and gaining experience through internships or entry-level positions can also be beneficial. It's important to continuously update your knowledge and skills, stay current with industry trends, and seek out opportunities for growth and advancement within your company or through job changes.

2. How can I stand out as a job candidate in the field of physics?

In addition to having a strong academic background and relevant experience, it's important to highlight any unique skills or accomplishments that make you stand out. This could include research experience, publications, or involvement in relevant organizations or projects. Networking and building relationships with professionals in the field can also help you stand out and potentially lead to job opportunities.

3. What skills are most in-demand for molecular biology careers?

Some of the most in-demand skills for molecular biology careers include laboratory techniques such as DNA sequencing, PCR, and cell culture. Additionally, skills in data analysis and bioinformatics are becoming increasingly important in this field. Strong problem-solving and critical thinking skills, as well as the ability to work independently and in a team, are also highly valued by employers.

4. How can I transition into a career in engineering if my degree is in a different field?

One option is to pursue a graduate degree in engineering, which can provide you with the necessary knowledge and skills for a career in this field. You can also seek out internships or entry-level positions that will allow you to gain hands-on experience and demonstrate your interest and ability in engineering. Networking and building relationships with professionals in the field can also help open up opportunities for a career transition.

5. What are some career paths within the field of physics?

There are many different career paths within physics, including research and development, teaching and education, medical physics, and engineering. Some physicists also work in fields such as finance, data science, or computer programming. It's important to consider your interests and strengths when exploring potential career paths within physics and to continuously seek out opportunities for professional development and growth in your chosen path.