Any Good Resources for Non-Technical, Non- Popular Physics Videos?

In summary, the conversation is about the difficulty of finding non-technical, non-"popular" physics videos that explain concepts without resorting to false metaphors or requiring advanced mathematical knowledge. The speaker is a fan of Richard Feynman and is looking for similar lectures that are not aimed at a general audience but are still accessible to non-technical individuals. They believe that true understanding of principles does not necessarily require mathematical ability.
RJMooreII
Any Good Resources for Non-Technical, Non-"Popular" Physics Videos?

I am a huge fan of Richard Feynman, because he would often give lectures which were not directed at a technical-mathematical audience yet which nonetheless didn't 'fake' elements or resort to goofy comparisons such as billiard balls and so forth. Yet I find it is quite difficult to locate any other video lectures that replicate that same sort of 'cusp' level of explanations, there are plenty of lectures on the technical aspects which I simply do not have the training to follow; but the majority of videos aimed at laypersons always seem to make extremely false metaphors like comparing string theories to literal vibrations or using every topic of quantum physics as an excuse to bring up alternate dimensions (and no, not the nuclear voids or other possible uninhabitable universes, always ones where you have nine toes, etc).

Does anyone know what I mean? I want something aimed at something other than the general television audience, but which doesn't require calculus to follow.

Thanks, Ricky.

Physics news on Phys.org

Mathematics is really the only way to appreciate what something actually means.

Kevin_Axion said:
Mathematics is really the only way to appreciate what something actually means.

X2

There is no such thing as ""Non technical and Non popular science":cool:

RJmooreII, I understand what you mean. And I believe its possible to explain things like you said.
Actually true understanding of principles doesn't mean being able to Integrate an expression and arrive at the other; Only the best can explain it flawlessly to the Non-technical but intelligent people (like yourself)

Cheers:
I hope that , it helped. :)

I completely understand your frustration with finding quality non-technical and non-"popular" physics videos. It can be challenging to find resources that strike the right balance between being accessible to a general audience while still providing accurate and in-depth explanations of complex concepts.

One resource that I have found to be quite helpful is the YouTube channel "Veritasium" by Derek Muller. He covers a wide range of physics topics in a way that is engaging and easy to follow, without oversimplifying or using false metaphors. Another great channel is "MinutePhysics" by Henry Reich, which offers short, animated videos that explain physics concepts in a fun and informative way.

Additionally, many universities and institutions have their own YouTube channels where they post lectures and talks on various physics topics. These can be a great resource for non-technical videos, as they are often presented by experts in the field and provide a more in-depth understanding of the subject matter.

I hope these suggestions help you find the type of physics videos you are looking for. Keep exploring and learning, and don't be afraid to ask questions and seek out resources from reputable sources. Science is all about curiosity and discovery, and there are many great resources out there to help you on your journey.

1. What are some good resources for non-technical and non-popular physics videos?

Some good resources for non-technical and non-popular physics videos include TED-Ed, Crash Course, and PBS Space Time. These channels offer engaging and informative videos on various physics topics that are accessible to non-technical audiences.

2. Are there any YouTube channels specifically dedicated to non-technical physics videos?

Yes, there are several YouTube channels that focus on creating non-technical physics videos. Some popular channels include Veritasium, MinutePhysics, and Physics Girl. These channels are known for their entertaining and easy-to-understand approach to explaining complex physics concepts.

3. Can I find non-technical physics videos on streaming platforms like Netflix or Hulu?

While most streaming platforms tend to feature more popular and technical physics documentaries, there are some options for non-technical videos as well. For example, "The Physics of Light and Color" on Netflix and "The Endless Question" on Hulu are both visually engaging and accessible to non-technical audiences.

4. Are there any websites that curate non-technical physics videos?

Yes, there are a few websites that curate non-technical physics videos from various sources. Some examples include PhysicsCentral, Physics Buzz, and Physics World. These websites offer a wide range of videos on different physics topics that are suitable for non-technical audiences.

5. How can I ensure that the non-technical physics videos I watch are accurate and reliable?

It's always important to fact-check information from any source, including non-technical physics videos. One way to ensure accuracy and reliability is to look for videos from reputable sources, such as universities, scientific organizations, and well-known science communicators. Additionally, checking multiple sources and consulting with experts can help to verify the information presented in the videos.