1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Any book/magazine suggestions on physics (nothing too technical)?

1. Jun 24, 2017 #1
    Looking for some books/magazines on physics (any field) to read in my spare time. Nothing too technical, as I'll have my university textbooks for that, more so just some books/magazines to read for relaxation and enjoyment. I've read a lot of Carl Sagan, Richard Feynman (not his lectures on physics yet), and Neil Tyson, as well as a bunch of other books by other authors. I haven't subscribed to any magazines yet, but I am open to the possibility if I can find some good ones.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2017 #2
  4. Jun 24, 2017 #3
    It sounds like you'll soon be starting college? Is that correct? If so, once you are enrolled, you can become a student member of the American Physical Society (APS). The first year you sign up you can get a free trial membership; subsequent years as an undergrad is only $25/yr:

http://www.aps.org/membership/student.cfm

You get APS News, Physics Today, a freebie of your choice, and various newsletters.

5. Jun 24, 2017 #4
    Yes, I'll be starting university in the fall. Is it available to Canadian students?

6. Jun 24, 2017 #5

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

If your college/university has a chapter of the Society of Physics Students, join that. The membership dues include a subscription to Physics Today, and they'll probably have some kind of activities. This may be what CrysPhys is referring to.

[added: oops, now I see you're in Canada.]

7. Jun 24, 2017 #6
    Neighbors from the North are always welcome. :smile:

8. Jun 24, 2017 #7
    No, I'm not referring to Society of Physics Students. I'm referring to American Physical Society. They have some extremely favorable terms to encourage budding physicists to join at the early stages of their careers.

9. Jun 24, 2017 #8

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

OK, I forgot about the APS student member category, it was so long ago for me. I didn't sign up for that until the end of my senior year, before I started grad school, according to the date shown in my APS membership profile. Before that, I belonged to SPS. It looks like the main practical difference between SPS membership and APS student membership is that the latter costs a bit more, and you get a free subscription to a choice of journal in addition to Physics Today. I remember I used my membership to get Reviews of Modern Physics while I was a grad student.

10. Jul 4, 2017 #9
    I'll definitely look into both the APS and SPS. Thanks for the suggestions, they're much appreciated!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted