Any book/magazine suggestions on physics (nothing too technical)?

In summary, the person is looking for books/magazines on physics (any field) to read for relaxation and enjoyment. They've read a lot of Carl Sagan, Richard Feynman (not his lectures on physics yet), and Neil Tyson, and are open to the possibility of subscribing to magazines.
GoldenBear
Looking for some books/magazines on physics (any field) to read in my spare time. Nothing too technical, as I'll have my university textbooks for that, more so just some books/magazines to read for relaxation and enjoyment. I've read a lot of Carl Sagan, Richard Feynman (not his lectures on physics yet), and Neil Tyson, as well as a bunch of other books by other authors. I haven't subscribed to any magazines yet, but I am open to the possibility if I can find some good ones.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
It sounds like you'll soon be starting college? Is that correct? If so, once you are enrolled, you can become a student member of the American Physical Society (APS). The first year you sign up you can get a free trial membership; subsequent years as an undergrad is only $25/yr:

http://www.aps.org/membership/student.cfm

You get APS News, Physics Today, a freebie of your choice, and various newsletters.

Likes GuthrJo
CrysPhys said:
It sounds like you'll soon be starting college? Is that correct? If so, once you are enrolled, you can become a student member of the American Physical Society (APS). The first year you sign up you can get a free trial membership; subsequent years as an undergrad is only $25/yr:

http://www.aps.org/membership/student.cfm

You get APS News, Physics Today, a freebie of your choice, and various newsletters.

Yes, I'll be starting university in the fall. Is it available to Canadian students?

CrysPhys said:
It sounds like you'll soon be starting college? Is that correct? If so, once you are enrolled, you can become a student member of the American Physical Society (APS).
If your college/university has a chapter of the Society of Physics Students, join that. The membership dues include a subscription to Physics Today, and they'll probably have some kind of activities. This may be what CrysPhys is referring to.

[added: oops, now I see you're in Canada.]

Likes GuthrJo
Josh_Guthrie said:
Yes, I'll be starting university in the fall. Is it available to Canadian students?
Neighbors from the North are always welcome. :smile:

Likes GuthrJo
jtbell said:
If your college/university has a chapter of the Society of Physics Students, join that. The membership dues include a subscription to Physics Today, and they'll probably have some kind of activities. This may be what CrysPhys is referring to.
No, I'm not referring to Society of Physics Students. I'm referring to American Physical Society. They have some extremely favorable terms to encourage budding physicists to join at the early stages of their careers.

Likes GuthrJo
OK, I forgot about the APS student member category, it was so long ago for me. I didn't sign up for that until the end of my senior year, before I started grad school, according to the date shown in my APS membership profile. Before that, I belonged to SPS. It looks like the main practical difference between SPS membership and APS student membership is that the latter costs a bit more, and you get a free subscription to a choice of journal in addition to Physics Today. I remember I used my membership to get Reviews of Modern Physics while I was a grad student.

Likes GuthrJo
I'll definitely look into both the APS and SPS. Thanks for the suggestions, they're much appreciated!

1. What are some good books/magazines for beginners in physics?

Some good options for beginners in physics are "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking, "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene, and "Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!" by Richard Feynman.

2. Are there any books/magazines that explain physics in a fun and engaging way?

Yes, "The Cartoon Guide to Physics" by Larry Gonick and "Physics for Future Presidents" by Richard Muller are both entertaining and informative reads.

3. Are there any books/magazines that cover a specific topic in physics?

Yes, there are many books and magazines that focus on specific topics in physics, such as "Astrophysics for People in a Hurry" by Neil deGrasse Tyson for astrophysics, "The Fabric of the Cosmos" by Brian Greene for quantum mechanics, and "The Code Book" by Simon Singh for cryptography.

4. Can you recommend any magazines that cover current developments in physics?

Some popular magazines that cover current developments in physics are "Scientific American," "Physics Today," and "New Scientist."

5. Are there any books/magazines that explain physics without using complicated mathematical equations?

Yes, "Seven Brief Lessons on Physics" by Carlo Rovelli and "The Universe in a Nutshell" by Stephen Hawking are both accessible reads that do not require a strong background in mathematics.