Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Any help about ORC (organic Rankine cycle)

1. Feb 20, 2015 #1

y2j

Hi
    anyone can help me about the converting the rotary vane compressor into an expander to use in small scale organic Rankine cycle (micro combined heat and power)

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2015 #2

billy_joule

Science Advisor

There isn't much you need to do. Just keep it within design rpm and check seal compatibility with your fluid at your working temp.

4. Feb 21, 2015 #3

y2j

I am doing that , but it is not rotating , any modification?

5. Feb 21, 2015 #4

billy_joule

Science Advisor

Give us the full picture and we may be able to help. Working fluid, high and low side pressures and temps, pump type and power, lube system etc etc. Assuming the expander is functional the pressure difference across it is not great enough to induce rotation, there are many possible causes..

6. Feb 21, 2015 #5

y2j

Thank you for attention
    at the first time I examine the rotary vane compressor type with compressed air at approximately (5 - 7)bar
    but the problem was that vanes don't attached the inside surface of the case ,and therefore the air inlet and outlet easily without any rotating and the shaft don't rotating.
    I'm also removed the chic valve

Attached Files:

7. Feb 21, 2015 #6

billy_joule

Science Advisor

Yes, As you noticed, the vanes are seized.

8. Feb 22, 2015 #7

y2j

Frankly, after that I do not know what to do to operate this type of compressor as an expander

9. Feb 22, 2015 #8

billy_joule

Science Advisor

Well, it needs to be fixed. You could try do it yourself or get on the phone and find some one who can do it for you ie a pump & compressor repair shop

10. Feb 22, 2015 #9

y2j

I now trying to use an air motor is also rotary vane spring loaded
    in this cycle I would like to use R11 as working fluid and if anyone has an information about the type of pump that can be applied to pumped this liquid with high pressure and responsible flow rate

11. Mar 4, 2015 #10

billy_joule

Science Advisor

Many pumps will do the job. I've read papers that use piston, rotary vane, diaphragm and multi-stage centrifugal types with varying levels of success.
    You need to pin down your pump specs (flow rate & pressure differential, materials compatibility etc) before you can select an appropriate unit.

12. Mar 8, 2015 #11

y2j

thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook