Any ideas for topics in Mathematical Physics?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of a term paper for a mathematical proofs class. The goal of the paper is to tell a compelling story about a mathematical topic that is interesting to the writer and can be comprehended by another mathematics major. Possible topics discussed include famous solved and unsolved problems, history of a mathematical idea, surprising results, and mathematical controversies. Suggestions for topics related to mathematical physics, such as the three-body problem, Fourier theory, quantum mechanics, Maxwell's laws, analytical mechanics, differential geometry, and Noether's theorem are provided. The conversation concludes with the writer expressing difficulty in choosing a topic due to the many interesting suggestions.
skate_nerd
Not really sure where this question belongs, but it is based on a school assignment so I'll put it here.
I'm a Physics major and math minor, and I am about halfway through my first group of advanced physics courses (namely intro classes for analytical mechanics, modern physics, and theoretical physics). However I am also taking a mathematical proofs class, and we have a term paper that was just assigned.
The goal of the paper is to tell a compelling story about a mathematical topic that is interesting to us. It should be told at the level so that another mathematics major would be able to read and comprehend it. Acceptable topics include famous solved problems, unsolved problems, history of a mathematical idea, a surprising result, or a mathematical controversy.
Being a physics major I would like to do a paper on mathematical physics, more specifically a famous solved or unsolved problem. I feel like I would be most interested in talking about something like that. However I'm not sure how many of those there are that would be easy to explain in a 3-5 page (single spaced) paper.
Basically I'm just hoping for some ideas. I've got a few myself, but I'd like to see some from people much more experienced in the field. Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Some topics came to mind: you could speak about the three-body problem (or n-body problem), how Fourier theory (now known more broadly as harmonic analysis) motivated and shaped the way we think and work with functions today (specifically how it exposed the weaknesses in classical theory and showed us that we needed more care in our definitions) or the relations between quantum mechanics and linear algebra.

Hope these are interesting topics you can write about. :D

Cheers.

Silly me! How could I have forgotten Electromagnetism? You can always discuss the formulation of Maxwell's laws in differential forms terms. You could also exploit the link of analytical mechanics and differential geometry, also related you have symmetry in physics's laws and group theory. Noether's theorem should be something very interesting to delve deep in. :D

Cheers.

Several big unsolved problems in mathematical physics:

1. Rigorous mathematical framework for the Standard Model (especially Feynman path integrals).

2. Solving the Navier-Stokes equation.

The 3-body problem has already been mentioned.

Thanks everyone. Those all seem like they would be great topics to discuss. Although now I have the opposite of the problem I began with...I'm going to have a hard time deciding between this plethora of topics! ;)

1. What is the definition of Mathematical Physics?

Mathematical Physics is a branch of physics that uses mathematical tools and methods to study and explain physical phenomena, such as motion, energy, and forces.

2. What are some popular topics in Mathematical Physics?

Some popular topics in Mathematical Physics include quantum mechanics, thermodynamics, relativity, and statistical mechanics.

3. How is Mathematical Physics different from Theoretical Physics?

Mathematical Physics is focused on using mathematical models and methods to understand physical phenomena, while Theoretical Physics deals with developing theories and concepts to explain the laws of nature.

4. What are the potential applications of Mathematical Physics?

Mathematical Physics has a wide range of potential applications, including in fields such as engineering, economics, and biology. Some specific applications include predicting the behavior of complex systems, developing new technologies, and understanding the fundamental laws of the universe.

5. How can I get started in researching topics in Mathematical Physics?

To get started in researching topics in Mathematical Physics, it is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics and physics. It is also helpful to read and study the work of established researchers in the field and to consult with professors or colleagues for guidance. Additionally, attending conferences and workshops can provide opportunities to network and learn about current research topics in Mathematical Physics.