Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interesting ideas for mathematics presentation

1. Feb 4, 2015 #1
    I will be doing a presentation in the science symposium at my community college. The common theme is always topics from biology or chemistry but never from physics or mathematics.. I am a Math major and love pure mathematics, I am interested in presenting the great theorems of mathematics inspired by William Dunham's book called " Journey through the genius". The presentation will be around 12-15 minutes where I will try to present some of these theorems in the most interesting way. Other topics I had in my mind were Quipu : The mathematics of the Incas. Number theory and Golden ratio. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2015 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I would stay away from this as it's nothing but hand waving.

4. Feb 4, 2015 #3
    These? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quipu

I think they'd make for a pretty interesting presentation.

5. Feb 4, 2015 #4

Evo

He was talking about golden ratio. If he wants to do a historical report just about how the Inca counted, no problem, if that's allowed.

6. Feb 5, 2015 #5
    Why is the golden ratio nothing but hand waving?

7. Feb 5, 2015 #6

Evo

It is often misused, you'll see it used with numerology and pseudoscience and outright woowoo.

8. Feb 5, 2015 #7
    It's really more of an observation than a rigorously derived result. And Evo is right that it can stray dangerously close to math woo.

9. Feb 5, 2015 #8
    Thanks for the suggestions. I will be sticking to my original plan of theorems.

10. Feb 5, 2015 #9

Evo

Anyway, looking back, I don't think the OP meant to combine the Inca and the golden ratio, I believe he meant them as separate topics..

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  11. Feb 5, 2015 #10
    I really appreciate your input guys. I shall be doing a presentation about the Pythagoras theorem. Three theorems will be covered. 1) Algebraic 2) Geometric 3) Trigonometric with historical background, significance and a proof accompanied with each one.

12. Feb 6, 2015 #11
    Ah well! Today was the final day of the topic submission. I ended up choosing to do a presentation on Euler's identity, An in-depth analysis from a historical, mathematical and scientific perspective. The presentation will be held in late April.

13. Feb 6, 2015 #12

Evo

Sounds interesting, good luck with it!

14. Feb 6, 2015 #13
    Thanks a lot.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook