Any ideas on what material this is?

In summary, identifying the material used in the oil seal of a hydraulic gear pump can be determined by the type of fluid the seal is keeping in or out and the Durometer number of its hardness. The specific seal shown in the picture is known as a Garlock seal, but there are various manufacturers of this type of seal. To obtain the material type, one can refer to the part number of the seal and contact a seller of seals such as the one listed in the provided catalog.
Malby
Hi everyone,

I'm having trouble identifying the material used in the oil seal of a hydraulic gear pump.

XgLJU.jpg

There is a picture of the microstructure of the oil seal with it's hardness.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Engineering news on Phys.org
Seal material depends on what fluid the seal is keeping in or out. The hardness is usually given a Durometer number. The seal shown is generically called a Garlock seal, but there are many manufactures of this type of seal.

The way you can get material is to get the part number off the seal and contact a place that sells seals. They should be able to give material type.

Here is an example of a catalog:

http://www.timken.com/EN-US/products/documents/sealinterchangeguide7537.pdf

1. What tests can I conduct to determine the material?

There are several tests that can be conducted to determine the material of an object. These include chemical tests, physical tests such as density and melting point, spectroscopy, and microscopy.

2. Are there any databases or resources I can use to identify the material?

Yes, there are databases and resources available that can help identify materials. These include Material Identification Guides, Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS), and online databases such as NIST Chemistry WebBook and Material Property Data.

3. Can I use a handheld device to identify the material?

Yes, there are portable devices such as X-ray fluorescence (XRF) spectrometers and Raman spectrometers that can quickly analyze the composition of a material.

4. Is it necessary to have a sample of the material for identification?

In most cases, having a sample of the material is necessary for accurate identification. However, non-destructive techniques such as XRF and Raman spectroscopy can provide information without damaging the object.

5. How long does it typically take to identify a material?

The time it takes to identify a material depends on various factors such as the type of material, availability of resources, and complexity of the analysis. It can range from a few minutes to several hours or even days.