Any ideas on where to go for Volunteering?

• Thread starter JasonRox
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ideas
In summary, the conversation revolves around finding ideas and opportunities for volunteering in the community. The individual is open to suggestions related to helping children and is not interested in volunteering at hospitals or retirement homes. Some ideas mentioned include volunteering at a children's museum, churches or shelters, Habitat for Humanity, public schools, and community centers. Other suggestions include contacting local organizations such as the United Way, elementary schools, and pre-professional societies for potential volunteer opportunities. It is also mentioned that universities offer various volunteer opportunities, such as being a science mentor or campus ambassador. The conversation ends with the individual expressing interest in volunteering with a new museum in their city.
JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Where do we go abouts for this? Any ideas on where to go?

I don't want to volunteer at the hospital or a retirement home. I would volunteer at a Sick Children Hospital but there isn't one nearby (atleast one hour drive).

I went to the library, but all they have is a microfilm searching thing going on. I was hoping for a help kids read kind of thing.

I'm going to look into a Kid's Help Phone thing too. Not sure how that works.

I saw a help kids with Mathematics in High School thing at school, but I'll have to wait until January to find about that.

So, in the meantime, I'd like some ideas on where to go. I want stuff related to the community.

Physics news on Phys.org
http://www.volunteer.ca/index-eng.php [Broken]
try looking here

Last edited by a moderator:
If there is a children's museum in the area try talking to one of them or if there is any museums in the area also call them up and see if they have any programs for children that need some help.

Depending on your sports background, you could volunteer as an assistant coach for the city or for a high school.

Volunteering as a tutor can be rewarding, but also frustrating at times depending on the students. (Hey, sounds like the PF Homework Help forums!)

The Fire Department and Police Department may have some interesting volunteer positions available as well.

If you're in college, believe it or not Frats can be a good source of volunteer ideas. It's part of their program (at least most frats these days).
Here are some other ideas:

For occasional volunteering, check out churches or shelters who run soup kitchens for the homeless. This might involve as little as four hours on a weekend, and you can do it once or as often as you like. There's a great spirit between the volunteers whenever I've done this.

Habitat for Humanity posts volunteer opportunities all around the nation. The commitment is very occasional.

If you're up to putting in regular hours, public school teachers are often delighted to have someone offer tutoring after school. Sky's the limit--basic reading skills for youngters, special needs kids, all the way to AP Physics or Math in high school. Talk to some teachers.

Another one with regular hours every week (and some weekends), talk to your local Boy Scout troop. Volunteers who work with kids, especially if they're available to go on campouts, are often in short supply. This works best if you are committed to attending meetings regularly.

Meals on Wheels is a great organization that really helps out the elderly. Having wheels is a plus :smile:

I currently volunteer as a St John Ambulance First Responder, and as a Science & Engineering Ambassador with a local school (raising the profile of engineering careers amongst school kids, mainly by building and racing an electric racing car with them). Both as rewarding and frustrating as my real job, but it keeps me off the streets...

I do math tutoring at the county library. You can do as much or as little as you like in this way.

Thanks guys!

Lots of ideas. Just what I needed.

Community centers are often looking for volunteers for different activities.

University pre-med society or any other pre-professional society usually have a catalog for volunteering opportunity. Volunteering is often a requirement for admission in a professional program.

Your student union or any society/program associate with the student union may also have a list of organization that are looking for volunteers.

If your willing to drive, the children hospital should have a tutoring program. I am currently volunteering as a tutor at the children hospital and our research lab is in the children hospital. Tutoring at an hospital requires you to be willing to do a wide range of subject and age group. I have mostly help with math homework and I have help kids ranging from the age 6 to 15-16. Also, sick kids can be difficult to work with because they are often under treatment. You should also keep this in mind.

If it's helping people learn to read that interests you, maybe the United Way in your area has a program. I know someone who volunteers through them to help teach English to immigrants, so it doesn't seem like a far reach from that for them to have a program to help teach people to read.

Or, contact the local elementary school and see if they know of a program or are in need of someone to volunteer to tutor kids. They may know of a kid from a disadvantaged family who needs help but can't afford to pay a tutor.

Whenever I get spare time I'd volunteer for Habitat for Humanity. Rule of thumb: don't do any volunteer work that you'd dread; I couldn't work in a hospital if you paid me, but I would gladly drive a nail for free.

Chi Meson said:
Whenever I get spare time I'd volunteer for Habitat for Humanity. Rule of thumb: don't do any volunteer work that you'd dread; I couldn't work in a hospital if you paid me, but I would gladly drive a nail for free.

Exactly. That's why I don't really want to do retirement homes and such things like that.

I would do a Sick Kids Hospital because I've been to one myself. Probably the best hospitals out there.

Anyways, our city built a new museum. I'll go check that out. That should be fun.

If you wanted it's so easy to get volunteer experience at university. I am a Science Mentor (helps out with events like rural discovery days, mentors high school students with questions about univeristy life...ect), a Campus Ambassador (giving tours of campus and bringing students from high school to class with you for a day) and in the next semester I will be volunteering at a conference aimed at exposing girls to the fields of science and engineer as a lab instructor...basically just leading a lab activity for them . I don't know if you have a Big Brothers or Big Sisters near you but I hear they are always looking for people. Even if you don't want to work people at the hospital you can volunteer to give directions and stuff like that. Possibilities are pretty much endless.

1. What types of volunteering opportunities are available?

There are many types of volunteering opportunities available, including environmental conservation, working with children or animals, community service, and disaster relief. You can also find opportunities that align with your specific skills or interests, such as teaching, healthcare, or construction.

2. How do I find a reputable volunteering organization?

One of the best ways to find a reputable volunteering organization is to do your research. Look for organizations that have a strong track record and positive reviews from previous volunteers. You can also reach out to friends or colleagues who have volunteered before for recommendations.

3. Do I need any specific skills or qualifications to volunteer?

It depends on the type of volunteering opportunity you are interested in. Some organizations may require specific skills or qualifications, such as medical training for healthcare-related volunteering. However, there are also many opportunities that do not require any specific skills and are open to anyone who is willing to help.

4. Will I have to pay to volunteer?

Some volunteering opportunities may require you to cover your own travel expenses or provide a donation to the organization. However, there are also many organizations that do not require any payment and may even cover your expenses. It is important to thoroughly research the organization and their policies before committing to a volunteering opportunity.

5. Can I volunteer abroad?

Yes, there are volunteering opportunities available all over the world. However, it is important to carefully consider the logistics and potential challenges of volunteering abroad, such as language barriers and cultural differences. It is also important to research the organization and their policies to ensure a safe and ethical volunteering experience.