Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Any inflexion-point solutions to Euler-Lagrange equation?

1. Mar 3, 2016 #1
    The following pages use Euler-Lagrange equation to solve for the shortest distance between two points and in the last paragraph mentions: "the straight line has only been proved to be an extremum path".

I believe the solution to the Euler-Lagrange equation gives the total length ##I## a stationary value and not an extremum value, so should the book have said: "the straight line has only been proved to be an extremum path or an inflexion-point path"?

Also, Professor Susskind, I believe, never mentions inflexion-point solutions when he teaches Euler-Lagrange equation, but only extremum and saddle-point solutions.

Screen Shot 2016-03-04 at 12.48.00 am.png
    Screen Shot 2016-03-04 at 12.48.15 am.png

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2016 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, the EL equations give stationary solutions. The prime example of this is finding stationary pathlengths on the sphere. The global minimum between two points is the shorter part of the great circle connecting them. The long part lf the same great circle can be shown to be neither a minimum or a maximum.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted