Any information about Edinburgh M.Sc Mathematical Physics

In summary, the speaker has been admitted to three MSc programs in physics, including MSc Mathematical Physics at Edinburgh, MSc Theoretical Physics at Durham, and MSc Quantum Fields and Fundamental Forces at IC. They have a BSc in Mathematical Science and plan to pursue a PhD in particle physics and cosmology. They are considering attending Edinburgh due to its strong math content, but are unsure of the program's prestige and limited information available. They are also questioning the value of a theoretical physics MSc for someone with a mathematical background. The speaker has also received information about the MPhys year at Edinburgh, which is equivalent to Year 5 for undergrad students, and is provided with a link to course descriptions.
HenryBishop
Hey everyone,
I just got my admission from the following programs:
MSc Mathematical Physics --Edinburgh
MSc Theoretical Physics -- Durham
MSc Quantum Fields and Fundamental Forces -- IC

I have a BSc in Mathematical Science, and I wish to continue a Phd study in particle physics and cosmology after MSc. Considering the fact that Edinburgh's Mathematical Physics degree provides a more sufficient content of math than Durham& IC, it's really possible for me to go to Edinburgh. However, there's extremely limited information of this Edinburgh's program. It seems it's under the Higgs centre for theoretical physics,is it prestigious? Is there anyone from this program to talk about it?

BTW, someone told me that for a student from mathematical background, it's completely waste of time to do a theoretical physics MSc. Is that the case? thx!

Physics news on Phys.org
As far as I know, the MPhys year is just the same as "Year 5" for Edinburgh undergrad students. If that's the case, this page has a list/descriptions of the courses you could take: http://www.drps.ed.ac.uk/15-16/dpt/utmapym.htm

1. What is the focus of the Edinburgh M.Sc Mathematical Physics program?

The Edinburgh M.Sc Mathematical Physics program focuses on the mathematical foundations of physics and their application to current research in areas such as quantum mechanics, general relativity, and statistical mechanics.

2. What are the admission requirements for the Edinburgh M.Sc Mathematical Physics program?

To be accepted into the program, applicants must have a bachelor's degree in physics, mathematics, or a related field with a strong background in both subjects. They must also meet the university's English language proficiency requirements.

3. How long does it take to complete the Edinburgh M.Sc Mathematical Physics program?

The program can be completed in one year if taken full-time, or two years if taken part-time. However, students have the option to extend their studies by an additional year to complete a research project.

4. What career opportunities are available for graduates of the Edinburgh M.Sc Mathematical Physics program?

Graduates of the program can pursue careers in research, academia, or industry. They may also work in fields such as data analysis, finance, or engineering, where strong mathematical and analytical skills are highly valued.

5. Are there any scholarships or financial aid options available for the Edinburgh M.Sc Mathematical Physics program?

Yes, the University of Edinburgh offers a range of scholarships and funding opportunities for international and domestic students. These include merit-based scholarships, research grants, and bursaries for students in financial need. Applicants are encouraged to explore these options and apply for any relevant funding before the application deadline.