Edinburgh theoretical physics msc

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's interest in particle theory and their application to the MSc programs in particles, strings and cosmology at Durham, and theoretical physics at Edinburgh. The speaker is looking for information and advice on the two programs, particularly the one at Edinburgh which is new and has limited information available. They mention the possibility of comparing the curricula of both programs and suggest contacting the department of physics for more information. Another participant in the conversation shares that they have also applied to both universities and have decided to attend Durham based on the advice of their professors.
polari618
Hi, I'm really into particle theory and I applied for msc particles, strings and cosmology in Durham and msc of theoretical physics in Edinburgh. I know the msc in Durham is a really good one. However, since the msc in Edinburgh is a new one there is little information about it. It will be great if someone tell me something about this msc and give me some advice on these two programs. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there a curriculum posted for Edinburgh? Ideally, one could compare curricula.

Unless someone has attended both universities, it might be difficult to compare programs.

http://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/postgraduate/degrees?id=818&cw_xml=details.php

Perhaps, one can contact the department of physics and ask for a curriculum with which to compare with the program at Durham.

Greetings .

I am on exactly the same path , I applied to Edinburgh and to Durham and was accepted at both .
Consulting my professors from my bachelor I was informed that the University of Durham has an outstandingly better team, and therefore I decided to go for the MSc at Durham ( the PSC one ) .

Not offering any great piece of advice , I know , Just telling you what I am doing , being in the same spot that you are.

Alquimista91 said:
Greetings .

I am on exactly the same path , I applied to Edinburgh and to Durham and was accepted at both .
Consulting my professors from my bachelor I was informed that the University of Durham has an outstandingly better team, and therefore I decided to go for the MSc at Durham ( the PSC one ) .

Not offering any great piece of advice , I know , Just telling you what I am doing , being in the same spot that you are.

Thanks for sharing Marios. There 's a good chance we will meet at Durham.

1. What is the duration of the Edinburgh theoretical physics MSc program?

The program is a full-time, one-year course.

2. What are the entry requirements for the program?

Applicants should have a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field, with a minimum grade of 2:1. Additional qualifications or relevant research experience may also be considered.

3. What are the key areas of focus in the Edinburgh theoretical physics MSc program?

The program covers a wide range of topics in theoretical physics, including quantum mechanics, statistical mechanics, general relativity, and particle physics. Students also have the opportunity to specialize in specific areas through elective courses and a research project.

4. Are there any opportunities for research or practical experience in the program?

Yes, students are required to complete a research project as part of the program, giving them hands-on experience in theoretical physics research. Additionally, there may be opportunities for students to participate in ongoing research projects within the department.

5. What career opportunities are available for graduates of the Edinburgh theoretical physics MSc program?

Graduates of the program are well-equipped for careers in research, academia, or industry. Many also go on to pursue further studies at the PhD level. The strong theoretical and analytical skills gained in the program are highly sought after in a variety of fields, including technology, finance, and data science.