Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Any numbers being Complex numbers

1. Jan 9, 2012 #1
    Are there any numbers that is not considered to be a subset of a complex number subset of

a + bi

Where a and b are real numbers?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2012 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Define "number".

I'm asking because the concept of number is not well-defined in mathematics. There are a lot of things which carry the name "number", like real number, transfinite number, p-adic number, hyperreal number, etc. All these things are called numbers and often have no obvious relationship to eachother. The concept of a number is too broad. It is not defined in mathematics.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  4. Jan 9, 2012 #3
    I don't know as much as micromass on this subject, but I just read this on wikipedia and I think it might interest the OP.

On the wiki page of Number, it says under the header "Complex Numbers" the following:
    which is the same wording at the OP used, so maybe he chould check out hypercomplex numbers.

5. Jan 9, 2012 #4

ohwilleke

Gold Member

Numerical quantities described with vectors of more than two elements or tensors cannot, as a general rule, be described as complex numbers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook