Any plausable scientific explaination for the temperature rise in western U.S.?

In summary, The recent temperature rise in the western-coast of the United States is likely due to the patterns of the "jet streams". Weather in January in Phoenix is highly variable, so it is unclear whether this is an abnormality or not.
The_Absolute
I was wondering if there is any solid scientific explanation for the very recent temperature rise in the western-coast of the United States. I live in Arizona, and it's been over 75 degrees for the past week or so. Is this a complete meteorological anomaly? Or does science have some sort of possible theory as to what is going on?

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Is that really unusual? :confused:

Wait a second -- is that even accurate? I just checked Arizona weather; at this moment, there isn't a single reading over 72 degrees.

Hurkyl said:
Is that really unusual? :confused:

Wait a second -- is that even accurate? I just checked Arizona weather; at this moment, there isn't a single reading over 72 degrees.

That isn't normal for January...

It's called weather. In other parts of the US, it's abnormally cold. I'll look, but it's most likely due to the patterns of the "jet streams". As you can see from this map, warm air from the southwest is flowing into Arizona right now.

http://www.wunderground.com/US/Region/US/2xJetStream.html

From http://phoenix.about.com/od/weather/a/averagetemps.htm
Average high temperature: 66
Average low temperature: 41
Warmest ever: 88
Coldest ever: 17

That 22 degree different between the record and average high (and the 24 degree difference between the average and record low) means Phoenix' weather in January is highly variable. Temperatures in the low seventies are not abnormal.

I'd give anything to be in that heat, can you send the jet stream this way please?

I grew up there. Sounds pretty normal to me. "I'm dreaming of a warm Christmas. Just like the ones I used to know." You're making me homesick.

hypatia said:
I'd give anything to be in that heat, can you send the jet stream this way please?

Be careful what you wish for, we are mostly on the Same Latitude as Southern Canada, and we get warm air/currents from the gulf stream. This you'd think would be great, but cold rain beats cold snow hands down. Not had a white Christmas in the more Southern parts where I live for over 30 years. :frown:

What you need to do is write an article and give it to the news, claiming that the recent warm winter is the result of global warming. After all if they can do the converse about the cold winters up 'til now, then you can use the same silly ideas foisted on us by newspapers.

1. What is causing the temperature rise in the western U.S.?

The temperature rise in the western U.S. is primarily caused by human activities, specifically the emission of greenhouse gases such as carbon dioxide and methane.

2. Is the temperature rise in the western U.S. a natural occurrence?

No, the current rate of temperature rise in the western U.S. is not a natural occurrence. Studies have shown that the current warming trend is far beyond what can be explained by natural factors alone.

3. How do scientists measure and track temperature changes in the western U.S.?

Scientists use various methods to measure and track temperature changes in the western U.S., including satellite data, weather stations, and ocean buoys. These measurements are then analyzed and combined to provide a comprehensive understanding of temperature trends.

4. Are there any other factors contributing to the temperature rise in the western U.S.?

While human activities are the main cause of the temperature rise in the western U.S., there are other factors that can contribute to it, such as natural climate variability and changes in land use. However, these factors are considered secondary to the impact of greenhouse gas emissions.

5. What are the potential consequences of continued temperature rise in the western U.S.?

The continued temperature rise in the western U.S. can have severe consequences, including more frequent and intense heatwaves, droughts, wildfires, and changes in precipitation patterns. It can also lead to negative impacts on agriculture, ecosystems, and human health.