1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Any sources on how to generate a nomogram?

1. Sep 28, 2016 #1
    I've been very interested in analog computers lately, and a simple application of one has come up at work where I simply need to solve for RPM given a part diameter and feed (tangential) speed. It's simple enough to do the calculation in each instance, but I think it would be useful for the machine operators to refer to a nomogram for this purpose. A table would work too, but that would be rather large and cumbersome. I'm sure a nomogram for this exact application has been made before, but I can't seem to find one on the web, and I think it would be a good exercise to generate one myself.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2016 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

4. Sep 28, 2016 #3
    I have some MATLAB experience, but none in Python. I was thinking of going the pencil and paper route to determine if the scales should be linear or log (pretty sure linear in this case), and what their spacing/orientation should be, then draw the nomograph in AutoCAD or something. I might try MATLAB (freemat), though my experience with it might not be relevant to this type of task.

5. Sep 28, 2016 #4

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

6. Sep 28, 2016 #5

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

There was that Java app that I mentioned earlier that might help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted