Any Suggestions for AP Chemistry Extra Credit Project?

In summary, a student in AP Chemistry is looking for suggestions for a solid extra credit project. The teacher allows for various options such as posters, videos, research papers, or pictures of chemistry in the world. Some potential project ideas include creating different batteries, designing a Thin Layer Chromatography exercise, or attempting a photometric titration. The student expresses gratitude in advance for any suggestions.
lovelylila
I'm in AP Chemistry and I'd like to do an extra credit project for this marking period. My teacher welcomes all varieties of extra credit, from posters to videos to research papers to pictures of chemistry in the world, etc. Does anyone have any suggestions for a solid extra credit project that would definitely take effort and be at an AP-level?

Thank you in advance, I'm having so much trouble deciding what to do!

Physics news on Phys.org
How about making different batteries, each using a different set of materials (electrolytes, cathodes, anodes); or design a simple exercise or demonstration for Thin Layer Chromatography for inks, or plant pigments? Maybe try a photometric titration?

I would suggest looking into a topic that interests you within the field of chemistry and creating a project based on that. This will not only make the project more enjoyable for you, but it will also allow you to dive deeper into a specific area of chemistry and showcase your knowledge and skills at an AP-level.

Some potential project ideas could include conducting an experiment to test the effectiveness of different types of household cleaners, researching and presenting on the environmental impacts of certain chemical compounds, or creating a video demonstration of a chemical reaction and explaining the underlying principles and mechanisms involved.

Additionally, you could consider collaborating with a local university or research institution to work on a more advanced project, such as investigating the effects of a particular chemical on plant growth or studying the properties of a newly discovered compound.

Overall, the key is to choose a project that aligns with your interests and challenges you to think critically and apply your knowledge of chemistry. Good luck!

1. What are some ideas for AP Chemistry extra credit projects?

Some ideas for AP Chemistry extra credit projects could include conducting experiments to test the effectiveness of different household or natural cleaning products, researching and presenting on a current topic in chemistry, or creating a model to demonstrate a chemical reaction.

2. How many extra credit points can I earn for an AP Chemistry project?

The number of extra credit points awarded for an AP Chemistry project will vary depending on your teacher's grading system and the complexity and effort put into the project. It is best to discuss this with your teacher beforehand.

3. Can I work in a group for an AP Chemistry extra credit project?

This will also depend on your teacher's preferences. Some may allow group projects while others may require individual work. Make sure to clarify with your teacher before starting any project with a group.

4. How much time should I spend on an AP Chemistry extra credit project?

The amount of time you should spend on an AP Chemistry extra credit project will depend on the scope and complexity of the project. It is recommended to start early and plan ahead to ensure enough time is allocated for research, experimentation, and presentation.

5. Are there any specific guidelines or requirements for an AP Chemistry extra credit project?

Your teacher may have specific guidelines or requirements for your AP Chemistry extra credit project, such as a maximum time limit for presentations or certain materials that must be included. Make sure to check with your teacher before beginning your project to ensure you meet all necessary criteria.