Any superset of a support is also a support

• Thread starter Rasalhague
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Support
In summary, any superset of a support is also a support. This is in conflict with the introduction's definition, which says a supoort of a function must be a subset of the real numbers.
Rasalhague
"any superset of a support is also a support"

Wikipedia:

In mathematics, the support of a function is the set of points where the function is not zero, or the closure of that set. [...] any superset of a support is also a support

Let f:R-->R: f(x) = 1 if x is in (-1,1), otherwise let f(x) = 0. Then support1 of f, "the set of points where the function is not zero" is (-1,1), and support2 of f, "the closure of that set", is [-1,1]. In either case, there is a proper superset of the support, i.e. a superset of the support which is not equal to either kind of support, for example (-2,2).

Is the article mistaken, or have I misunderstood it? Does it perhaps mean "any superset of a support of one function is also a support of a function, not necessarily the same function", that is, "for every superset, S, of a support of one function, f, there is a function g such that S is a support of g"?

Physics news on Phys.org

Which Wikipedia article contains that statement? Is there any criticism of it on the discussion page for the article?

In the article, you quote from the general description at the top, and then skip to what's written in the definition below. If you read the whole "Formulation" paragraph, specifically the first line, it says a function is supported on Y if it is zero on Y's complement, and Y is called A support. THE support of a function is often used to refer to the smallest possible support of the function

Sorry, I meant to link to it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Support_(mathematics)

Yes, there is an objection to that statement, in a section called "Definition?"

The article is still inconsistent in the definition: In "Formulation", it is said that a superset of a support is again a support, contradicting the Introduction's definition.--Roentgenium111 (talk) 22:48, 21 April 2009 (UTC)

There hasn't been any response to it. But looking at this again, I think I see that apparently an earlier version of the article began:

In mathematics, the support of a function is, in general, the set of points where the function is not zero. More specifically, a support of a function f from a set X to the real numbers R is a subset Y of X such that f(x) is zero for all x in X that are not in Y.

And thanks to Office_Shredder's hint, I see that the Formulation section of the article, does actually begin with a version of this definition, support3: "A function supported in Y must vanish in X \ Y", according to which a support needn't be unique. And the section ends with mention of further possible, context dependent meanings. The following section, Closed supports, suggests why support3 may not have been mentioned in the intro; it says support2 is the definition used in "the most common situation" (when X is a topological space [...] and f : X→R is a continuous function."

I should have read further.

The terminology is not 100% consistent, but that's pretty much true in how it's used in the rest of math. It's usually easiest to just use context to decide which form of support somebody is using

1. What is a superset of a support?

A superset of a support is a set that contains all the elements of the original support, as well as potentially additional elements.

2. How is a superset of a support different from a support?

A superset of a support is a larger set that contains all the elements of the original support, while a support is a set that only contains the essential elements needed for a specific task or situation.

3. Is a superset of a support always a support?

Yes, a superset of a support will always contain the essential elements needed for a specific task or situation, making it a support in itself.

4. Can a superset of a support be used interchangeably with a support?

In most cases, yes. A superset of a support contains all the elements needed for a specific task or situation, so it can be used in place of a support. However, there may be some cases where the additional elements in the superset are not necessary or relevant, making the use of a support more appropriate.

5. Why is the concept of a superset of a support important?

The concept of a superset of a support is important because it allows for flexibility and adaptability in solving problems or completing tasks. By having a larger set that includes all the elements of a support, we have more options and resources available to us. This can be especially useful in complex or evolving situations.