Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Anybody been to see both the total eclipse and the Olympics?

1. Aug 1, 2008 #1

Garth

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just seen the eclipse of the Sun 9.15 1 August 2008.

Partial here in Britain, it is total in North Canada, Greenland, Siberia and China.

Anybody been to see both the total eclipse and the Olympics?

Garth

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2008 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Eclipse

Cool.

I've seen one total eclipse, in the summer of 1991. My dad and I were on a cruise ship off the west coast of Mexico. It lasted nearly 7 minutes and was really stunning, I encourage everybody to see one some time. There is no photograph that truly captures what it is like, so even if you think you know what you've missed trust me, you really have no idea! :smile:

4. Aug 2, 2008 #3

Garth

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I saw the 1999 British total eclipse from Alderney in the Channel Islands with the Royal Astronomical Society.

Having read about the prediction of a 1999 eclipse when a child I waited 45 years to see it.

Typically for the British Isles the skies were cloudy, however the total eclipse was visible through clearing clouds.

Garth

5. Aug 2, 2008 #4
  6. Aug 4, 2008 #5

Was most lucky to see the 1999 eclipse as well, in full, clear skies.

I was close to Strasbourg and early in the morning we (two daughters and a niece) went to the area of interest. We managed finally to evade the traffic jams but that meant that we had to settle for more of the outside area. Lucky us. So we were picknicking out there looking through the dark glasses. However only about ten minutes before total eclipse I noticed a big shower moving in, about to obscure the sun. So we scrambled into the car, hit the accellerator and headed away from the cloud. I still don't understand why we were the only ones reacting. All other spectators stayed put. But that was okay, streets empty and I could cover several kilometers, getting ahead of the shower. So we stopped and total eclipse was there for about 90 seconds.

After the event we looked at each other and promissed that we would also make every effort to see the next one too. Then heaven opened and the torrential rains poured down since that shower was still there. The sun was obscure once more.

Anyway, for most people out there, in the centre of the track, the eclipse was a big disappointment. Clouds and rain.

7. Aug 4, 2008 #6

well the USA is in for one in about 9 years---they'll be a migration to that strip

did you get photos Andre?

8. Aug 4, 2008 #7

I have to add this to my life list of things to do.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?