Anybody been to see both the total eclipse and the Olympics?

• Thread starter Garth
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Eclipse
In summary: I have seen a partial eclipse and a total eclipse.In summary, the eclipse was seen by many people all over the world. Some people were lucky enough to see it in full while others were not.
Garth
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Just seen the eclipse of the Sun 9.15 1 August 2008.

Partial here in Britain, it is total in North Canada, Greenland, Siberia and China.

Anybody been to see both the total eclipse and the Olympics?

Garth

Physics news on Phys.org

Cool.

I've seen one total eclipse, in the summer of 1991. My dad and I were on a cruise ship off the west coast of Mexico. It lasted nearly 7 minutes and was really stunning, I encourage everybody to see one some time. There is no photograph that truly captures what it is like, so even if you think you know what you've missed trust me, you really have no idea! :smile:

I saw the 1999 British total eclipse from Alderney in the Channel Islands with the Royal Astronomical Society.

Having read about the prediction of a 1999 eclipse when a child I waited 45 years to see it.

Typically for the British Isles the skies were cloudy, however the total eclipse was visible through clearing clouds.

Garth

Last edited by a moderator:

Was most lucky to see the 1999 eclipse as well, in full, clear skies.

I was close to Strasbourg and early in the morning we (two daughters and a niece) went to the area of interest. We managed finally to evade the traffic jams but that meant that we had to settle for more of the outside area. Lucky us. So we were picknicking out there looking through the dark glasses. However only about ten minutes before total eclipse I noticed a big shower moving in, about to obscure the sun. So we scrambled into the car, hit the accellerator and headed away from the cloud. I still don't understand why we were the only ones reacting. All other spectators stayed put. But that was okay, streets empty and I could cover several kilometers, getting ahead of the shower. So we stopped and total eclipse was there for about 90 seconds.

After the event we looked at each other and promissed that we would also make every effort to see the next one too. Then heaven opened and the torrential rains poured down since that shower was still there. The sun was obscure once more.

Anyway, for most people out there, in the centre of the track, the eclipse was a big disappointment. Clouds and rain.

well the USA is in for one in about 9 years---they'll be a migration to that strip

did you get photos Andre?

I have to add this to my life list of things to do.

1. What is the best way to plan a trip to see both the total eclipse and the Olympics?

The best way to plan a trip to see both the total eclipse and the Olympics is to start by researching the dates and locations of both events. The total eclipse occurs in different locations every time, so make sure to check the path of totality. Then, find out which Olympic events you want to see and where they will be held. From there, you can plan your travel and accommodations accordingly.

2. Is it possible to see both the total eclipse and the Olympics in one day?

Unfortunately, it is not possible to see both the total eclipse and the Olympics in one day. The total eclipse only lasts a few minutes and occurs during the daytime, while the Olympics events are spread throughout the day and evening. It would be physically impossible to travel between the two locations and attend both events in one day.

3. Are there any safety precautions I should take when viewing the total eclipse?

Yes, there are some important safety precautions to take when viewing the total eclipse. You should never look directly at the sun without proper eye protection, as this can cause permanent eye damage. It is recommended to use special eclipse glasses or make a pinhole projector to safely view the eclipse.

4. Will the total eclipse affect the Olympic events in any way?

No, the total eclipse will not affect the Olympic events in any way. The Olympics will continue as scheduled, regardless of the eclipse occurring. However, some events may have scheduled breaks or delays during the eclipse to allow participants and spectators to view it.

5. Can I attend both the total eclipse and the Olympics for free?

Attending both the total eclipse and the Olympics will require some expenses, such as travel, accommodations, and event tickets. While there may be some free viewing areas for the eclipse, tickets for the Olympics events will need to be purchased. It is recommended to plan and budget accordingly for this unique experience.