Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stargazing Total eclipse of the moon tonight.

1. Feb 20, 2008 #1
    If the last one was any indication, tonight's total eclipse will completely darken the entire full moon. Just remember, never look directly at the moon without protection. My girl and I were gazing at the full moon one night twenty years ago and now we're married with two kids.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2008 #2

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The eclipse is quite late if you're in the UK, from about 3:00 - 4:00 GMT. Don't know if I'll get a picture tonight like last years.

4. Feb 20, 2008 #3

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It will be just at sunset here on the US west coast, unfortunately it looks like it will be overcast.

5. Feb 20, 2008 #4

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Grrrr. <D H wipes coffee from screen> That post should have come with some kind of spray warning.

6. Feb 20, 2008 #5
    The whole show lasts a little over 2 hours. Here in the People's Republic of Northern South Jersey, it will begin at 8:45 pm. The forecast is for bright sunny skies tonight with a 90% chance of snow. Forget the moon, we won't even be able to see the Earth.

7. Feb 20, 2008 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl:

I don't think I have much chance of seeing it. It's going to be too close to sunset, and supposedly while the moon is still low in the sky, which means it'll likely still be hidden behind the trees if I try to view it from home (and given that the forecast here is similar to that in the People's Republic of Northern South New Jersey :rofl:, I'm not planning to be anywhere BUT at home to watch). But, maybe I'll get lucky and it'll happen while in a gap between trees, or just over the tree line.

8. Feb 20, 2008 #7
    That's South Jersey. South New Jersey is a fictitious land created by Joyce Kilmer in his famous poem: 'I never met a tree I didn't like'.

9. Feb 20, 2008 #8

turbo

Gold Member

We've got sporadic cloud cover, with more of the same expected tonight. May get a glimpse of it through some sucker-holes,though, if I can stand the cold long enough. We've had 20-30 mph winds all day with much higher gusts and it shows no sign of letting up. Combine that with our normal single-digit night temps and BRRRR!

Maine is so far east that we really should be in the Maritime time zone, so the sky should be very dark with the Moon at a good elevation. Hmm...the Independent Republic of South Canada...that has a nice ring to it.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2008
  10. Feb 20, 2008 #9

jim mcnamara

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We're in NM, and I can see why it was chosen early on for atom bomb tests....

Anyway, we gots a mass of cold wet air due to get here just before sunset. When the eclipse gets going. Integral gave us that nice cloudy mass, it's all his fault.

11. Feb 20, 2008 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How about New South Jersey? Perhaps that's what we should rename Delaware. :biggrin:

12. Feb 20, 2008 #11
    Bright sunny skies tonight?

13. Feb 20, 2008 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The residents of The People's Republic of Northern South Jersey don't really have the best education system (that, or they have something far more interesting than an eclipse happening there). :rofl:

Good catch!

So, will you be spending the night howling at the moon?

14. Feb 20, 2008 #13
    It's an eclipse, silly. The light from the sun will be bent clear round Cape May, up the Parkway and along the White Horse Pike.

15. Feb 20, 2008 #14
    We had the no child left behind program long before you guys. I'll have my grandpa to explain it to you as soon as he gets back from school tonight.

16. Feb 20, 2008 #15
    Nah, neighbor keeps throwing shoes at me when I try.

17. Feb 20, 2008 #16
    Jim, your in NM, what part? Yeah really sucks that we got this crappy weather tonight as its right after dark here. Damn you weather!

BTW, shouldn't this be in Astronomy?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2008
  18. Feb 20, 2008 #17
    Clear shot of the moon, up my neighbors driveway and inbetween her trees!

19. Feb 20, 2008 #18

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I might try to stay awake, but I doubt I'll manage it! Plus I'm not exactly in the right place to be viewing: I don't know what the weather is like where you are, but in London it's pretty cloudy.

20. Feb 20, 2008 #19

Evo

Staff: Mentor

The eclipse is going to start here in about 1 hour and a perfectly clear shot from my window.

21. Feb 20, 2008 #20

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well I don't have any commitments at the moment so I could stay up. Unfortunately the weather in Newcastle is cloudy too. Also I live on a hill and I just realised that the moon is behind the hill during the eclipse. Never mind :rolleyes:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?