Quantum total eclipse of the sun?

In summary, two hypothetical questions were posed about the possibility of a total solar eclipse caused by a quark orbiting in place of the moon and the distance the sun would need to be in order for this to occur. However, these questions are unanswerable due to the fact that light is not instantaneous and quarks cannot exist in isolation or have a well-defined size. As a result, the thread was closed.
mahonskey
TL;DR Summary
Hypothetical: If light were instantaneous, how far from earth would the sun have to be to cause a quark orbiting in place of the moon to result in a total solar eclipse?
This might be total nonsense, but the thought popped into my head while I was trying to get to sleep, so I thought I see if I could find any advanced help with the following hypothetical:

If light were instantaneous, how far from Earth would the sun have to be to cause a quark orbiting in place of the moon to result in a total solar eclipse?

Space news on Phys.org
mahonskey said:
If light were instantaneous

It isn't, so your question is unanswerable. There's no point in asking what the laws of physics say about a scenario that violates the laws of physics.

mahonskey said:
how far from Earth would the sun have to be to cause a quark orbiting in place of the moon to result in a total solar eclipse?

This question is unanswerable because, first, quarks can't exist in isolation, and second, quarks don't have a well-defined size.

Since the OP questions are unanswerable, this thread is closed.

1. What is a quantum total eclipse of the sun?

A quantum total eclipse of the sun is a rare astronomical event where the moon completely blocks the sun's light from reaching the Earth. This occurs when the moon's orbit aligns perfectly between the sun and the Earth, causing a temporary blackout of the sun's light.

2. How often does a quantum total eclipse of the sun occur?

On average, a total solar eclipse occurs once every 18 months. However, a specific location on Earth may only experience a total solar eclipse once every several hundred years.

3. How is a quantum total eclipse of the sun different from a regular solar eclipse?

In a regular solar eclipse, the moon only partially blocks the sun's light, creating a crescent shape. In a quantum total eclipse, the moon completely blocks the sun's light, creating a temporary blackout. Additionally, a quantum total eclipse can only be seen from a specific path on Earth, while a regular solar eclipse can be seen from a larger area.

4. What are the potential effects of a quantum total eclipse of the sun?

During a quantum total eclipse, the temperature can drop significantly, and animals may act differently due to the sudden darkness. Additionally, the alignment of the sun, moon, and Earth during a quantum total eclipse can create unique gravitational forces that can affect tides and other natural phenomena.

5. How can I safely view a quantum total eclipse of the sun?

It is crucial to never look directly at the sun during a total eclipse, as this can cause permanent eye damage. The safest way to view a quantum total eclipse is by using special eclipse glasses or by creating a pinhole projector to indirectly view the eclipse's image.