Anybody else wish they could do their physics degree again?

In summary, the person has a good job and likes it, but feels that they are not smart enough for a PhD in physics and are anxious about it. They also mentor undergraduate physics majors and like doing that. They would like to return to school and take one or two introductory or upper division courses.
majorcarter
I do. I had a good experience the first time around but now (a few years after graduation) I feel like I have so much more clarity and direction. I could dive much deeper into the material and do more research. I wouldn't feel like I'm drowning in formula after formula.

I'm currently working at an engineering company as a tech and applying for a coursework only Masters of ECE. I like my job and the field and the steady paycheck. But I don't think I'm smart enough for a PhD in physics and just the thought of a PhD induces anxiety. It doesn't make sense to quit my job and career to find out if I could make it in a PhD program. Maybe someday in retirement I could get an MS in physics just for my own personal enrichment. But I wish there was more I could do with it now.

Physics news on Phys.org
Not me. I mentor a number of undergrad physics majors, some in research projects, others in just an informal advisory capacity. That provides enough of a vicarious experience knowing others benefit from my experiences.

Hang our for a while in PF. Share your experiences. Share what you would do differently. Share how those young minds full of much can become gainfully employed contributors to society.

You don't have to go back to school to continue learning. Set aside some time each week to read the latest research in the fields that interest you the most. You will gradually add to your store of physics knowledge. You could also buy some physics textbooks and work through them at your own pace.

phyzguy said:
You don't have to go back to school to continue learning. Set aside some time each week to read the latest research in the fields that interest you the most. You will gradually add to your store of physics knowledge. You could also buy some physics textbooks and work through them at your own pace.
That might not be satisfying. Possible suggestion: Review what you need, and try to return to school for one or two courses which you have not yet taken, either something introductory (maybe unlikely), something upper division, or graduate level. Any lab section connected to course would be great advantage.

phyzguy said:
I've been going through my old textbooks but I am afraid I don't have much time to work any problems. Reading papers is a good idea though. Thanks.

1. Why would someone want to do their physics degree again?

There are several reasons why someone might want to do their physics degree again. Some people may feel like they didn't fully understand certain concepts or want to improve their grades. Others may have discovered a new passion for physics and want to deepen their knowledge. Additionally, some people may have taken a break from physics and want to refresh their skills before pursuing a career in the field.

2. Is it common for people to want to do their physics degree again?

Yes, it is not uncommon for people to want to do their physics degree again. Physics is a complex and constantly evolving field, and it is natural for individuals to want to continue learning and improving their understanding of it. Additionally, as mentioned before, some people may have taken a break from physics and want to re-enter the field.

3. Can someone do their physics degree again at the same university?

It depends on the university's policies and the individual's circumstances. Some universities may allow students to retake courses or even restart their entire degree program. However, it is important to check with the university's academic advisors and make sure that retaking the degree is the best option for the individual's goals and needs.

4. How can someone make the most of doing their physics degree again?

There are several ways to make the most of doing a physics degree again. First, it is essential to identify the areas that need improvement and focus on those. Additionally, students can take advantage of resources such as tutoring, study groups, and office hours with professors. It is also helpful to actively participate in class and ask questions to deepen understanding.

5. Are there any benefits to doing a physics degree again?

Yes, there are several potential benefits to doing a physics degree again. It can help individuals improve their understanding and skills in the field, which can lead to better job opportunities and career advancement. Additionally, it allows individuals to stay updated with the latest developments in physics and potentially discover new interests within the field.