1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Anyone ever heard of physics author named Hilary. D. Brewster ?

1. Sep 21, 2010 #1
    Anyone ever heard of physics author named "Hilary. D. Brewster"?

http://mlbd.com/AuthorDecription.aspx?id=10950

Hilary D. Brewster
    Hilary. D. Brewster is a well known author of some best selling books on topics that prominently includes Relativity, Digital Electronics, Fluid Mechanics, Quantum Mechanics, Electrostatics, and Mathematical Physics, etc. He is well known for his writings on hyper-physics and applied physics books. Having equipped with the degree in Physics, his loads of experience is very valuable in the shaping of this book. On the different parts of the world, Prof. Hilary. D. Brewster taught applied physics. Prof. Hilary. D. Brewster, a graduate of Yale University, was teaching hyper-physics, he began his teaching career at the secondary level, teaching physics and chemistry to students at Wisconsin, an independent school in USA. In 2001, Professor Hilary. D. Brewster received his Ph.D., then he went on to teach introductory physics (in both majors and non-majors courses) and applied science at University of Pennsylvania, where he became a tenured professor.

==================================================================

There is no professor at Penn named Hilary Brewster!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2010 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Re: Anyone ever heard of physics author named "Hilary. D. Brewster"?

That doesn't sound like it was originally written in English.

4. Sep 22, 2010 #3

It looks like her books are published by the Oxford Book Company, Jaipur, India...
    Have anyone read any of her books?

5. Sep 22, 2010 #4

Hilary with one L is generally a male given name. Most google hits refer to books published in India, and this thread is the top hit.

6. Sep 22, 2010 #5

alxm

Science Advisor

Weird..
    Doing a bit of searching and I seem to fail to find any physics papers from the last 10-15 years from any H. Brewster at all.

I can't say I did a very thorough investigation, but thorough enough that I'd have expected to find someone if the person existed. E.g. if he got his PhD in 2001, you'd expect some papers from an H Brewster in (at least) the 1998-2001 time frame. I can't seem to find any. Indeed, a lot fewer articles than I'd expect by any 'Brewster's. Guess it's a less common name that I thought. Not a single H Brewster in any AIP journal in the last 15 years, for instance (they publish J App Phys and App Phys Lett, ostensibly this person's field)

[STRIKE]
    Am I wrong to suspect this is a made-up personality created to lend credibility to textbooks ghostwritten by some Indian?[/STRIKE]

Edit: Apparently even worse, see below.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  7. Sep 22, 2010 #6

alxm

Science Advisor

I've cracked it. From that site's page on "Mathematical Physics" by this "Brewster":
    They slipped up. Who is Geroch if this book was written by "Brewster"? It quickly turns out that this is the verbatim publisher's description for Geroch's https://www.amazon.com/Mathematical-Physics-Chicago-Lectures/dp/0226288625"

I didn't bother looking further, I expect you'll find the same with the other titles here. What we've got here, is a publisher selling pirated and/or plagiarized books by other authors under a fake name. (since I see no reason to believe the books are authentic when the author and description clearly isn't)

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  8. Sep 23, 2010 #7

Kob

I arrived at this forum trying to find more about this "Brewster". I looked at the "Heat and Thermodynamics" book of his - a hodgepodge of thermal and thermo subjects, mixing an analytical approach here and there with lab measurements and advice. The material looks like a "copy/paste" from various sources. The English is a bit foreign.

On the cover: "Hilary D. Brewster".
    On the title page inside: "Hilary D. Brewster". No titles given - not even "Dr.". The Publisher:
    "Oxford Book Company, Jaipur, India"
    The next page: Publisher's details and ISBN, "© Reserved" without a reference to the copyrights owner. A disclaimer at the bottom: "...Responsibility for the facts stated,
    opinions expressed, conclusions reached and plagiarism, if any, in this volume is
    entirely that of the Author..."
    Preface page: signed by "Prabhat Kumar Choudhary"

My opinion: The book is possibly a keeper if found at a garage sale for $1 or less.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook