1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Anyone have experience finding money for school?

1. Mar 27, 2015 #1
    Hey all. I'll be transferring to a four year university in the fall. Once I'm in to wherever I go, I'll need to start looking for money in order to minimize the debt I accrue over my undergrad. I was wondering what experience any of you have in looking for support. I'm going to be getting a fair amount from the FAFSA since I'm an independent student and only claim my small amount of income, but I still have to account for probably around 9k a year (more or less) to attend. What resources and tactics would you suggest?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2015 #2
    Make an interesting blog?
    Crowd funding ?

4. Mar 27, 2015 #3

Quantum Defect

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

REU sites pay a small stipend, in addition to room and board. It has been a while since I looked, but I expect that the stipend is close to $5k for ten weeks in the summer. I used to tutor in a tutoring center. Some friends worked in the library. There are work-study positions that Departments have to give out, as well.

5. Mar 27, 2015 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

My girls took jobs, working at banks, at gas stations, at advertising companies, insurance agencies. Many jobs are easily obtained for college students by going to good temporary help agencies. They were good paying jobs in nice offices with flexible hours. They also tutored at the local community colleges, but those didn't make much money. Some of the jobs even had tuition reimbursement for making good grades.

6. Mar 27, 2015 #5
    How do I apply for such jobs?

7. Mar 27, 2015 #6

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Go to a reputable temporary help agency, they will match you to available jobs, but these are in the US, I don't know about other countries.

8. Mar 28, 2015 #7
    Thank you Evo.

9. Mar 28, 2015 #8
    I guess I didn't specify but I already tutor for money. I was more interested in places to look for scholarships and such.

10. Mar 28, 2015 #9

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Most universities will have an office of financial assistance. One of the functions these provide is help with scholarships and bursaries. If you haven't already, it might be worth making an appointment at either your current school or the one you're transferring to. Also, in my experience, universities will publish a list of available scholarships and bursaries in their calendar.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook