Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Anyone have experience with recovering silver from fix?

1. Jan 28, 2014 #1
    We go through an inordinate amount of fix in our photo labs (20+ gallons/week) and are interested in trying to recover the silver. An electrolytic cell seems like the way to go. Anyone have suggestions, tips, or advice in general?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2014 #2

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Work out the economics before you start. With the silver price around $20 an ounce, you probably won't make much money from this.

Remember that much of the value in objects made from silver (jewellery, antiques, etc) is in the workmanship and/or the scarcity of the object, not the value of the metal

4. Jan 28, 2014 #3
    With access to campus resources (machine shop) building something will have a cost near zero (also it should prove to be a fun project as well!).

5. Jan 28, 2014 #4

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So you don't put any value on your own time? :biggrin:

This might be worth reading. www.kodak.co.uk/ek/uploadedFiles/J215ENG.pdf [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  6. Jan 28, 2014 #5
    The school pays me minimum wage so I am worth at least $7.85/hr :approve:

That is a good link, very complete!

So do you have any experience building electrolytic cells? The last one I built (many, many years ago) worked great until it blew up :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook