1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Programs Anyone here change from experiment to theory during the PhD?

1. Jun 13, 2016 #1
    I'm a 3rd year graduate student doing atomic physics experiment. I was thinking of changing my group to do theoretical biophysics for a few reasons. Did any experimentalist here change to theory? What was the transition like?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2016 #2
    I did (I also changed schools), basically it meant I was in grad school about a 1-2 longer than I would have been otherwise. I only published one experimental paper, but I guess you could say it makes my publication list a little unusual (since then I've done some work in biotech and added a few more papers that don't really fit the field of my PhD). I had already taken a pretty wide range of the grad classes available so it didn't require any additional course work. It wasn't a big deal, I just changed schools (and obviously advisors). The main thing is the time that, at least from a certain perspective, was wasted.

4. Jun 14, 2016 #3

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Experimental optics (quantum well spectroscopy) to Boltzmann Transport Theory.....i.e. Hall effect in an-isotropic semiconductors

5. Jun 14, 2016 #4
    How did you guys get acclimated to the new work? Was there a lot of studying before you could actually contribute in a meaningful way? I'm not really sure how theory works.

6. Jun 15, 2016 #5

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I always had a tendency towards theory, so the switch wasn't too bad for me. Even while doing experimental work, I spent time writing the code to predict my results and to guide my quantum well stacks......

7. Jun 17, 2016 #6
    It was pretty much a non-issue for me, I had taken the graduate courses that were available and had done some independent study on my own. As far as I can tell that's pretty much the same preparation the other theory grad students had. The only difference for me was I spent/wasted time doing something else. I think how quickly you can start contributing depends what course work you've done and it depends a lot on your advisor and what kind of problems he suggests to you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted