Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Anyone know who these two people are?

1. Jul 20, 2006 #1
    In Laughlin's book A Different Universe he writes:

Anyone know who these two are? My library searches are all clipped as I move between work and grad school. Given Laughlin's style, I would almost think this a joke and that one of the two is actually him.

Any idea?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2006 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I must say I draw a blank with this one. My first instinct was to guess Dave Pines and Bob Schreifer. But I have nothing to back it up.

Zz.

4. Jul 22, 2006 #3

Pythagorean

Gold Member

Yeah, of all the research I've done on this post, I find "scientists believed..." (in reference to the max temp) but no names.

I'll look into this more when I'm in the research library monday.

5. Jul 26, 2006 #4
    Thanks for looking for me. I've still not found much. Here is one article I bumped into following a link you gave, zapperz:

McMillan. "Transition Temperature of Strong-Coupled Superconductors." Phys. Rev. 167, 331 (1968).

But I can't actually pull it up because no library access :(

You know, I gave my notice at my employer something like two and a half months ahead of time. I like to think it was a polite thing to do, but you can bet I'll never do it again. It's taking AGES to get out of here...

6. Jul 26, 2006 #5

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Humm... I never thought of McMillan. But now that you mentioned it, I can certainly see why he would be a candidate. The McMillan-Rowel model is widely used, especially in tunneling spectroscopy, to extract the phonon structure out of the tunneling data of conventional superconductors.

Y'know something, why can't someone just write to Laughlin and ask? He might just answer! :)

Zz.

7. Jul 27, 2006 #6
    From what I've heard Anderson might be the type to write something like that.

8. Jul 27, 2006 #7
    Email sent to his Stanford email addy*. However, the only email I can send from right now is my yahoo mail, so I'm not certain he'll even ever get it. I'll let you know if I get a response.

*Is he back at stanford? I know he left Korea, but that's last I heard...

9. Jul 27, 2006 #8

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

He should be at Stanford, or at the very least, able to get any mail sent to him to Stanford.

If you don't hear anything from him, let me know. Maybe if I write from my argonne account, he might give it some attention.

Zz.

10. Jul 27, 2006 #9
    Phil Anderson and Marvin Cohen! I'll find the particular paper and post a reference to it soon.

The source of this information shall just remain a great mystery as all evidence of the transaction has been dutifully burned as requested...

:biggrin:

11. Jul 28, 2006 #10
    Yay, I got one of them.

12. Jul 28, 2006 #11

Pythagorean

Gold Member

I totally forgot to look this up while I was at the library. It's only me and the librarian there today, so I might be occupied, but I'll look into those two authors if I get the chance

13. Jul 28, 2006 #12

Pythagorean

Gold Member

http://md1.csa.com/partners/viewrecord.php?requester=gs&collection=TRD&recid=A7222553AH

This seems to be around the right time with the relevant authors. Their citation names are "ML Cohen" and "PW Anderson"

Superconductivity in d- and f- band metals; Proceedings of the Conference, University of Rochester, Rochester, N.Y ; United States; 29-30 Oct. 1971. pp. 17-27. 1972

it appears that not a library in Alaska owns it, so I can't pull it to be sure. There's holdings all over the state though, CA, TX, and NY especially.

14. Jul 29, 2006 #13

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Pyth, (JFYI) the names Marvin Cohen and Phil Anderson are well-known in the Condensed Matter community. Anderson is possibly among the top 3 or 4 of the most cited authors in all of physics. And Cohen just seems to never slow down...though he must be a million years old by now, at least!

15. Jul 29, 2006 #14

Pythagorean

Gold Member

While I was trying to pin the before-mentioned mistake on them, I couldn't find it, beceause it was swamped with a whole bunch of more recent stuff they've done.

I wasn't aware that anderson was so well established, though.

Our university's part of the 'plasma' and 'geophysica' communities, I wish we had more condensate influence here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?