Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Anyone thought about this before?

1. Jul 9, 2010 #1
    As far as I know, nothing can travel faster than light, a thought suddenly bump into my mind on this matter:
    We can roughly perceive our 4D world, is it possible that the reason we cannot move faster than light is because every dimension has its very basic "unit", if we travel faster than light, we simply push beyond the limit of the minimum unit to "describe" us. Like trying to display a 1024x768 image precisely on a 640x480 able display.

This thought of mine can very well be pure trash. Feel free to leave your comment and enlighten me with more information, links, articles, videos etc.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2010 #2
    Oh and, I'm pretty sure there would be someone who had thought about this but discarded it since it's worthless or has zero mathematical backup.

4. Jul 9, 2010 #3
    Actually, as awkward as the reasoning is, it does have some level of analogous reasonableness. People often post here asking why we can't go faster than light. There are many different answers from many different perspectives, but one of them entails that your size becomes less than zero, relative to another observer. You would be racing yourself and win.

There's also Doubly Special Relativity that attempts to unitize space and time in relativity. So yes, it has been thought about.

5. Jul 10, 2010 #4
    I've got a crazy theory which may at least give some of you a new perspective on light. It's so obvious that I hesitate to even mention it, but I thought I should at least see if there are any physics enthusiasts out there who are both open minded enough to consider what I'm talking about and knowledgeable enough to point out where I'm obviously wrong in ordinary terms.

<< link deleted >>

Some of my hypotheses will almost certainly make most of you here want to scoff, cringe, or hit somebody, but if there's anyone who enjoys entertaining a new possibility, please have a look. Any particular evidence you can show me which unambiguously disproves (or may support) some of the ideas, please do contribute them.

Here's an executive summary:

1. c is not so much a speed, but the opposite of stillness. It is absolute motion.

2. Photons do not physically exist. Neither as particles nor waves. (wait..there's more)

3. Electromagnetism is not physically transported through space. It jumps instantaneously from node to node from the inside. Atoms are able to inspire each other to move themselves, change, light up, etc from within - because matter separated by a vacuum is still the same matter essentially. "If it weren't for all the nothing between us, we'd be together'.

4. Electromagnetism is a shared, rhythmic behavior of matter which is simultaneous to the extent that is possible in the physical universe.

5. Latency in electromagnetic observations between material nodes can be attributed to computational inertia.

6. This inertia may scale to d on a basis of either something like a ratio of probability vs size of scope, where vastly increasing distance between to nodes increases the size of the set of possible vectors for the two nodes to find each other through...in this model a telescope pulls more deep space objects when it has a longer exposure because it's tuning into a location which is so remote that the transmitting node and the receiving node take longer to 'recognize' each other.

7. Another model would conceive of the drag that scales to d as a different kind of inertia, where each material node accomplishes signal recognition through memory - a recapitulation of all of the events which both nodes have 'experienced' since the two nodes were united as one node - in the most distant nodes, that memory would have to go back to the singularity, and therefore, take a very long time to resolve.

A few koans and examples:

A microwave oven cooks without heat. I think it could be said that it's a technology which signals food to cook itself.

If a photon is the sound of one hand clapping, Light is the applause.

When something is glowing, what you are seeing is matter becoming transparent and electromagnetically excited from the inside. Your own visual neural tissue is sharing a condition of focused enthusiasm with the inside of the hot coal.

When you are trying to sleep in a dark room and someone opens the door, is your eye filled with invisible waves or does it more seem just like you can suddenly see the room lit up? It's literally lit up, from within the matter of the surface of the walls. That's why you could suck all the air out of the hall and it would make little noticeable change in the behavior of the light.

I've only been living with the implications for a few days but I would recommend only getting into this if you don't mind your entire worldview being ripped out by the roots. I've got a lot pieces too that seem to complete parts of the puzzles of consciousness, religion, psychology, materialism, etc. for me.

Thanks for your patience. Hope you enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2010
  6. Jul 10, 2010 #5
    In a way, we are all moving with the speed of light in spacetime, along the time axis.
    What we perceive as "motion" in 3d is just rotation of our personal time axis relative to somebody else's.
    When you apply a force to an object, you are not really making it move - you just changing it's orientation in spacetime, so that it's time axis become tilted with respect to yours.
    From this perspective, it is obvious why you can't "move" faster than light. It's like riding in a car on the highway. Suppose all cars can only go with a fixed speed. If you are driving at an angle to another car, the distance between you and that car grows with some speed. The larger the angle, the faster it grows. But whatever you do, you cannot make it grow faster than double your speed. Why is that? Same reason why you can't go faster than light - it's your intrinsic speed in spacetime, you just can't rotate your time axis any further.

7. Jul 10, 2010 #6

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Personal theories are not permitted on PF.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook