Anyone tried that 'Spray-on Sunscreen'?

• Thread starter Saladsamurai
  • Start date
In summary: Sorry for the confusion -- I was kidding with Moonbear. I should have probably used a Rolleyes or Smileyface to be more clear.
Saladsamurai
Does it work as good as the stuff that you need to smear on? I don't know why I am so skeptical... you probably need to rub that stuff in anyway... That is, I guess it just makes applying it a little easier.

It's not something you are expected to just spray on and go right?... like bug spray?

Just curious! I hate putting sunscreen on!

Physics news on Phys.org
Just use Pam.

I tried it a week ago, it's ok. Not great. I felt I still had to do some rubbing and they label as non greasy, but it still felt like a film on my skin.

It works fine. I especially liked using it when my daughter's friends were over. If you have a bunch of kids to take care of, it's a lot quicker to just line 'em up & spray 'em down.

I've used it for the past couple years, and my review is mixed. It goes on fairly easily, and is much more convenient (no need to wash/wipe your hands afterwards), and is especially easy to put on your face and neck. But the spray is a bit wasteful, as about 20-30% of the spray misses you, so you go through it faster than with rub-on sunscreen. Still, the convenience is worth it to me. I use Bullfrog and something-Sport in a yellow bottle.

With pam, when your laying down random dogs will come up to you and start licking you all over.

Sounds like it would be useful at least for those spots in the middle of the back where you can't reach. Even regular sunscreen isn't "apply and go." You should always put it on at least 15 min before heading out so it has time to absorb into your skin a bit for maximum effect. That's especially important if you're going into water, even with "waterproof" sunscreens.

How often do you reapply sunscreens? Every two hours?

Only after all the puppies and kittens lick if off of you!

Saladsamurai said:
How often do you reapply sunscreens? Every two hours?

Every time I get out of the water, towel off, or otherwise yeah, about every two or three hours. Then again, I'm VERY prone to burning...if you ever saw Russ' sunburn photo from Mexico, that's what I look like with sun exposure too, so I'm very careful to keep applying SPF 45 or more quite often.

berkeman said:
and is especially easy to put on your face.
How did that work out for you?

I borrowed some from the woman I was with to try out, but she cautioned against using it on the face.
She liked it for hosing down her kids, but used cream for the faces.

It seemed to work ok, I get burned easy and no issues.
Didn't seem to get the inevitable missed spots. :smile:

NoTime said:
How did that work out for you?

I borrowed some from the woman I was with to try out, but she cautioned against using it on the face.
She liked it for hosing down her kids, but used cream for the faces.

It seemed to work ok, I get burned easy and no issues.
Didn't seem to get the inevitable missed spots. :smile:

I think I'd prefer a cream on my face too. I've accidentally rubbed my eyes with sunscreen on my hands before, and it's quite painful, so I don't think I'd chance spraying it into them.

Moonbear said:
I think I'd prefer a cream on my face too. I've accidentally rubbed my eyes with sunscreen on my hands before, and it's quite painful, so I don't think I'd chance spraying it into them.

It took me a while to get spraying my face to work well. I close my eyes now, and that seems to work the best...

berkeman said:
It took me a while to get spraying my face to work well. I close my eyes now, and that seems to work the best...

I've had the same experience as Moonbear.
No capillary leakage or is aim to miss the critical areas important?
It dries up pretty quick, do you have to wait until then to open your eyes again?

Edit:What does not working well mean exactly?

NoTime said:
I've had the same experience as Moonbear.
No capillary leakage or is aim to miss the critical areas important?
It dries up pretty quick, do you have to wait until then to open your eyes again?

Edit:What does not working well mean exactly?

Sorry for the confusion -- I was kidding with Moonbear. I should have probably used a Rolleyes or Smileyface to be more clear.

I don't have any issues with spraying my face, just close eyes, face into the wind, and give a few squirts to get coverage. With Bullfrog spray at least, it dries so fast that I don't have to wait to open my eyes.

<lol> :rolleyes: :biggrin:

1. How does spray-on sunscreen work?

Spray-on sunscreen works by creating a thin, even layer of sunscreen on the skin through an aerosol spray. The active ingredients in the sunscreen form a barrier on the skin that absorbs or reflects UV rays, protecting the skin from sun damage.

2. Is spray-on sunscreen as effective as traditional sunscreen?

Yes, spray-on sunscreen can be just as effective as traditional sunscreen if applied correctly and reapplied as directed. It is important to cover all exposed areas of skin and to rub in the spray to ensure even coverage.

3. Can I use spray-on sunscreen on my face?

Yes, spray-on sunscreen can be used on the face. However, it is recommended to spray the sunscreen onto your hands and then apply it to your face to avoid getting the product in your eyes or mouth.

4. Are there any safety concerns with spray-on sunscreen?

Some studies have raised concerns about inhaling the aerosol particles from spray-on sunscreen. It is important to use caution when applying and not to spray directly onto the face or into the air. It is also recommended to apply in a well-ventilated area.

5. How often should I reapply spray-on sunscreen?

Like traditional sunscreen, spray-on sunscreen should be reapplied every 2 hours or after swimming or sweating. It is important to follow the directions on the product label for the best protection.