Discover the Benefits of Purslane: Eat It, Don't Spray It!

• Thread starter Q_Goest
  • Start date
In summary: Greens have milder flavor when eaten at young stage rather than when...When they get tough.In summary, this article suggests eating purslane in salads for its high omega 3 fatty acid content and for its taste which is similar to that of Romain lettuce.
Q_Goest
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I just read an interesting article suggesting eating purslane in salads. I never heard of it before so I looked it up. Here's a few pictures, see if you recognize it:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi

If you're like me, you will readily recognize this stuff. It's a weed I have growing in my yard all over. As hard as I try to kill it by pulling it up and spraying, it always comes back. And not just the occasional sprout either. It's the rabbit of the weed world, prolific and able to grow in any kind of nasty soil. It grows in abundance where my dogs pee and the grass dies. It grows on a rocky hill in my front yard where even dandelions can't grab root. And according to what I've read, it's both delicious and nutritious!
http://web.extension.illinois.edu/cfiv/homeowners/030726.html

Ok, I'm going home tonight and drop some in my salad. So who else has tried thist stuff and what do you think? Have any good recipies simple enough for an engineer to make?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmmm. Never heard of it, but now I'm going to keep my eyes open for it. It's kind of amazing to find out that something that grows anywhere without cultivation is good for you.

I'm familiar with purslane, but never considered eating it due to lawn chemicals and the fact that animals pee and poo all over it. But you said you have some growing on a rocky hill that's most likely not contaminated.

Let us know if you like it.

Evo said:
I'm familiar with purslane, but never considered eating it due to lawn chemicals and the fact that animals pee and poo all over it. But you said you have some growing on a rocky hill that's most likely not contaminated.

Let us know if you like it.
Evo,

You read my mind.

Q,

Please report back if after consuming it, anything strange happens.

Rhody... :redface:

Well, it ain't bad. Tastes a bit like Romain lettuce perhaps. It's a bit crunchy like lettuce and has a similar taste. Not a strong flavor (peppery herb) as I read in http://shine.yahoo.com/event/vitality/the-3-veggies-with-the-least-nutritional-value-2510765/", but then they were comparing it to cucumbers.

I sent an email to family and friends and my dad wrote back that he's been eating it for 10 years now because of its high omega 3 fatty acid content. Who knew...

Other weeds to try that are good in salad include dandelion leaves which is a bit bitter and the roots of Queen Anne’s Lace which tastes a bit like carrots but more chewy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been trying to control this crap for years. Tilling it doesn't work as the root nodules just get spread. I finally used Round Up but I still get some.

Eat it? No way when you can have the good stuff in your garden.

dlgoff said:
Eat it? No way when you can have the good stuff in your garden.
I don't have a garden and I'm glad to know there's something to snack on growing everywhere if the coming zombie apocalypse interrupts food supplies.

zoobyshoe said:
I don't have a garden and I'm glad to know there's something to snack on growing everywhere if the coming zombie apocalypse interrupts food supplies.

Good point. Now if I can only keep it confined to 25 ft2 area.

dlgoff said:
Good point. Now if I can only keep it confined to 25 ft2 area.
Just let the nature nuts know you have "organic purslane", the lealthy natural herb/vegetable, come pick their own for $10 a pint. Talk to Roger the *spiritual* hen for free.

Evo said:
Just let the nature nuts know you have "organic purslane", the lealthy natural herb/vegetable, come pick their own for $10 a pint. Talk to Roger the *spiritual* hen for free.

I know Roger. Bit of a crank if you ask me.

TheStatutoryApe said:
I know Roger. Bit of a crank if you ask me.
Hey, that's MY hen!

In college, the organist in my band was a horticulture major. He was also a fan of Euell Gibbons (remember him?) and loved collecting and eating wild food. He'd bend my ear off about what was good to eat and how to prepare it. We sometimes had "interesting" salads when we'd get together for a meal. Having grown up harvesting young dandelion greens and fiddleheads, I was no stranger to the "wild food" concept, but other friends were not real enthusiastic about eating stuff that we had picked from vacant lots or fields around the campus.

I have been familiar with purslane (Portulaca oleracea) as a wild edible for some time;
so are cattails (Typha spp.), day lily buds (Hemerocallis fulva), pigweed (Amaranthus retroflexus),
lambsquarter (Chenopodium album) and shepherd's purse (Capsella bursa-pastoris).
Greens have milder flavor when eaten at young stage rather than when mature.

Last edited:

Related to Discover the Benefits of Purslane: Eat It, Don't Spray It!

What is purslane?

Purslane is a leafy green plant that is often considered a weed but is actually a highly nutritious and edible plant. It has been used in traditional medicine for centuries and is now gaining popularity as a superfood.

What are the health benefits of eating purslane?

Purslane is rich in essential nutrients, including vitamins A, C, and E, as well as minerals like magnesium, calcium, and potassium. It also contains high levels of omega-3 fatty acids, which can help reduce inflammation and improve heart health. Studies have also shown that purslane may have anti-diabetic, anti-inflammatory, and anti-cancer properties.

How can purslane be incorporated into meals?

Purslane can be eaten raw in salads, sautéed as a side dish, or added to soups and stews. Its slightly tangy and lemony flavor makes it a great addition to various dishes. It can also be used as a substitute for spinach or other leafy greens in recipes.

Is it safe to eat purslane that has been sprayed with herbicides?

No, it is not safe to eat purslane that has been sprayed with herbicides. These chemicals can be harmful to human health and should be avoided. It is best to grow your own purslane or purchase it from a trusted source to ensure it has not been exposed to herbicides.

Are there any potential risks or side effects of consuming purslane?

Purslane is generally safe for consumption, but people with a history of kidney stones or oxalate-containing kidney crystals should avoid consuming it in large amounts. Additionally, as with any new food, it is recommended to introduce purslane gradually into your diet to avoid any potential digestive discomfort.

Back