Anyone Used a Property Management Service?

In summary, the individual is currently renting out a house to friends but one is moving out and the other is moving out of state. They are considering selling the property or hiring a property management service due to being out of state and not wanting to deal with the responsibilities. They could potentially make a quick 10k if they sell, but they also see benefits in continuing to rent, such as improving their credit and having someone else pay for the house. They are seeking advice or warnings from anyone who has experience with property management services.
Drakkith
Mentor
So I'm currently renting a house out to a couple of my friends, but one is about to move into his own home and the other is moving out of state next spring. I've been thinking about either selling the house or getting a company to do property management for me since I'm out of state and don't want to deal with the hassle of organizing repairs, advertising, etc. If I sell the house I can probably get a quick 10k, but I'd like to keep renting since it's great for my credit and I'm essentially having someone else pay for my house.

Has anyone used a property management service before? If so, do you have any advice or warnings?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Drakkith said:
So I'm currently renting a house out to a couple of my friends, but one is about to move into his own home and the other is moving out of state next spring. I've been thinking about either selling the house or getting a company to do property management for me since I'm out of state and don't want to deal with the hassle of organizing repairs, advertising, etc. If I sell the house I can probably get a quick 10k, but I'd like to keep renting since it's great for my credit and I'm essentially having someone else pay for my house.

Sounds like a complicated metric, Drakkith. I own my own house now, but have never owned properties that I've rented. But if I did, I probably would hire a property management service because I don't like to deal with problems. Unless maybe I just had a duplex or something, etc.

Drakkith said:
If I sell the house I can probably get a quick 10k, but I'd like to keep renting since it's great for my credit and I'm essentially having someone else pay for my house.

Idk, looks to me like the housing market is steady and maybe increasing, so maybe that's the direction you want to go, if you're in the USA.

Likes Drakkith

1. How does a property management service work?

A property management service works by taking over the day-to-day operations of a rental property on behalf of the owner. This includes tasks such as marketing the property, screening and selecting tenants, collecting rent, handling maintenance and repairs, and managing finances.

2. What are the benefits of using a property management service?

Using a property management service can save you time and stress as they handle all aspects of managing your rental property. They also have expertise in the rental market and can help you maximize your profits and minimize vacancy rates. In addition, they can handle any tenant issues or legal matters that may arise.

3. How much does a property management service cost?

The cost of a property management service can vary depending on the company and the services provided. Typically, they charge a percentage of the monthly rent, ranging from 8-12%, as well as a flat fee for any additional services. It's important to compare prices and services from different companies before making a decision.

4. Do I still have control over my rental property if I use a property management service?

Yes, you still maintain ownership and control over your rental property. However, the property management service will handle the day-to-day operations and make decisions on your behalf, keeping you informed every step of the way. You can also set specific guidelines and expectations for the management company to follow.

5. How do I choose the right property management service?

When choosing a property management service, it's important to do your research and consider factors such as their experience, services offered, fees, and reputation. You can also ask for recommendations from other property owners or read reviews online. It's important to choose a company that you feel comfortable and confident in managing your rental property.