1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering Anyone with PhD Physics gone back for MS Engineering?

1. May 16, 2012 #1
    I recently finished a PhD Physics, and am finding the job market is very tight, as has already been extensively discussed on these boards. Noticing that engineering jobs are more plentiful, I have an idea to go back to school for a MS in Engineering; assuming I can get admitted, it would only take 3-4 semesters and not a lot of money.

Have any other PhD Physics graduates tried this route? Is the course material accessible to someone with a science background, who hasn't had undergrad engineering courses? I'm interested to hear other experiences with this, if any are out there.

2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2012 #2

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

Well as any other graduate degree from another discpline you'll need to take a few courses from Bsc, but because your bsc is from exact sciences it won't be too much.

In my school I only need to take 4 courses from EE Bsc, it should be specified in the programme you want to apply to how many courses from Bsc you'll need to take.

These courses won't be taken for credit for your Msc.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook