Backup jobs if PhD in physics isn't a goal

In summary: I see you had a 1-year internship as a data scientist. Didn't you meet career employees in this (or allied) areas while doing the internship. If you did a good job, it seems your intern supervisor, mentor or whatever, might put in a good word for you, or would be a source for positions you could apply for.
taabut
Hello everyone, I am a Physics Masters student in USA (international student). I have completed a semester so far. Currently, I am working on a project under cosmology, which is related to Fischer analysis.

Background: I have graduated with a BSc Mathematics with a physics minor. While starting my Bachelors, I was enrolled in Computer Science for the first 2 years and later I decided to switch to Maths. I also did a year-long internship as a data scientist which was till last year.

I am concerned that if PhD. isn't a goal and not leaning towards academic jobs, what are the computational physics jobs or any job I can get into which will be suitable for my career uptill now?

Physics news on Phys.org
Job markets vary a lot with locality. You say you are an international student currently studying in the US. Let's start with this question: In which country or countries do you plan to work in after you complete your master's? Job markets can also vary a lot over time. When do you plan to complete your master's (e.g., is it a 1 or 2 yr program)?

Likes Math100
CrysPhys said:
Job markets vary a lot with locality. You say you are an international student currently studying in the US. Let's start with this question: In which country or countries do you plan to work in after you complete your master's? Job markets can also vary a lot over time. When do you plan to complete your master's (e.g., is it a 1 or 2 yr program)?
I will complete my masters by Dec next year. And will be looking for job here in US. I need to work on the backup plan as well so that I don't waste my time later on during the job search. Also I can work on some skills during the remaining time like on some of the programming language.

I see you had a 1-year internship as a data scientist. Didn't you meet career employees in this (or allied) areas while doing the internship. If you did a good job, it seems your intern supervisor, mentor or whatever, might put in a good word for you, or would be a source for positions you could apply for.

Likes berkeman

1. What other career options are available for someone with a PhD in physics?

There are many career options for someone with a PhD in physics, including research positions in both academia and industry, teaching positions at universities or secondary schools, and roles in government agencies or consulting firms.

2. How can I use my physics background in a non-traditional career?

There are many ways to apply your physics knowledge and skills in non-traditional careers, such as data analysis, software development, finance, and even journalism. It's important to identify your strengths and interests and explore opportunities in various fields.

3. Is a PhD in physics necessary for these alternative career paths?

No, a PhD in physics is not always necessary for non-traditional career paths. Many employers value the critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills that are developed in a physics PhD program, regardless of the specific degree.

4. What skills should I develop in addition to my physics knowledge?

In addition to your physics knowledge, it's beneficial to develop skills such as programming, data analysis, communication, and project management. These skills are highly transferable and can be useful in a variety of careers.

5. How can I network and find job opportunities outside of academia?

Networking is key for finding job opportunities outside of academia. Attend conferences, join professional organizations, and connect with alumni or professionals in your field of interest. You can also search job boards and company websites for open positions.