Anything actually physically infinite within the universe?

In summary, a mathematician from Miami Florida with a background in physics discusses his fascination with the concept of infinity and poses a wager for anyone to point out something physically infinite in the universe. However, no one has been able to provide a counter-example, and it is suggested that infinities only exist in mathematical models and not in real experiments. The topic is deemed outside the scope of the forum and the thread is closed.
camilus
Hi guys,
I'm a mathematician from Miami Florida working in paraquaternionic and symplectic differential geometry, but I come from a very extensive physics background, pretty much well-versed in all modern physics. But my favorite of all is probably the philosophy of mathematics and science as well.

So I'm a mathematician, and infinity is one of the most intriguing ideas that there exists to me. With some of my colleagues, mathematicians and physicists alike, I have an ongoing wager, currently at $200, for anybody who could point out anything to me that is actually physically infinite inside the universe. I guess I must be specific, and it cannot be something like ideas that exist inside the human mind, like infinity itself and set theory (the natural numbers).

To this day no one has been up to the challenge, so I thought maybe I would ask this question within this community and see if anybody here could come up with a counter-example, because I believe the answer is negative.

I'm sure most of you know that the universe is discrete, even the approximate number of atoms within the universe, something like 10^80, is nowhere near infinity by any sense of the definition (obviously).. So could anybody come up with one example, or just I would love to hear your thoughts on this particular (philosophical/mathematical/physical) question.
Thanks in advance for your time,
Camilo

Space news on Phys.org
Stupidity. Every single day I am more convinced that there is no end to stupidity. If you doubt me, watch Springer or Fox News sometime.

Oh, never mind. I guess that counts as non-physical... :oldfrown:

Likes Vagn
Pointing out anything infinite in the universe? It would be very hard to prove it in reality. For example in quantum theory e.g. the charge of 'naked' electron is considered infinite. How this is possible when we see a very small charge? Explanation is that electron is in vacuum and vacuum is not 'nothing', it has to be taken into account when considering the actual charge we see. The effect is described in such a way that the naked charge polarizes vacuum creating in a charged screen, what we see is the residual effect of this.

No, I'm willing to bet those things are by definition to make the mathematics work, the electron doesn't have physically infinite charge. Period.

Unless you're willing to accept Danger's counterexample :) you are not going to be able to settle your bet here.

It's easy to find infinities in mathematical models of physical systems (for example, treat an electron as a point particle and use Coulomb's law to calculate the field strength at ##r=0##) but these infinities are never observed in real experiments. When they appear in a mathematical model, we generally take them as evidence that the mathematical model is no longer accurately describing the physical system and that some (possibly as yet undiscovered - as with the singularity that appears at ##r=0## in the Schwarzschild solution) new theory is needed.

Does this mean that there are no "real" infinities? Who knows? All we can say is that you won't get a helpful answer from empirical science and therefore that this topic is outside the scope of this forum.

This thread is closed. As always, you can PM me if there's something more to be said on this subject, but we aren't going to throw it open for an unlimited descent into the rathole non-empirical discussion.

What is infinity?

Infinity is a concept that refers to something that has no end or limit. In mathematics and physics, it is often used to describe something that is unbounded or limitless.

Is the universe infinite?

The current scientific consensus is that the observable universe is not infinite. It is estimated to be about 93 billion light-years in diameter. However, the exact size and nature of the universe is still a topic of ongoing research and debate.

Are there infinite galaxies in the universe?

It is currently unknown if there are an infinite number of galaxies in the universe. The observable universe contains an estimated 2 trillion galaxies, but it is possible that there are more beyond what we can see. Additionally, the concept of infinity is often considered to be beyond the scope of our physical universe.

Can anything actually be physically infinite within the universe?

According to current scientific understanding, it is unlikely that anything in the physical universe can be truly infinite. This is because the laws of physics place limitations on the size and behavior of objects in the universe. However, there are some theories, such as the concept of a multiverse, that propose the existence of infinite parallel universes.

What are some examples of things that are infinite in the universe?

There are certain concepts and mathematical principles that involve infinity, such as infinite series and the concept of asymptotic infinity in calculus. However, it is currently unknown if these concepts have a physical manifestation in the universe. Some scientists also argue that the concept of infinity itself may be a human construct and not necessarily something that exists in the physical world.