1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

AP Chemistry Test FRQ: Balancing Equations

1. May 10, 2009 #1
    I have no idea how to do the balanced equations portion of the FR. I know how to balance equations using stoichiometric coefficients, but not the particular type of "balanced equations" on the AP test.

For example: "a small piece of sodium is placed in distilled water"

my initial thinking:
    Na + H2O --> NaOH + H+

but they have as the right answer:
    2Na + 2H2O --> 2Na+ + 2OH- + H2

Why is my answer wrong? (I have the right species and my answer is balanced...)
    Also, I have no idea when to combine certain species, or keep them separate as ions--do solubility rules account for this?

Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2009 #2
    Nevermind, I asked a friend of mine, and got it resolved... But if anyone has any tips for these unique reaction questions, I would really appreciate it!

4. May 11, 2009 #3

Borek

Staff: Mentor

You didn't have a orrect species and your reaction was not balanced. H+ is not the same as H2 and not only atoms must be balanced - charge must be balanced too.

And free hydrogen is diatomic. You were close.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook