1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

AP Chemistry Test / Solubility Rules

1. May 9, 2009 #1
    I'm finding a lot of inconsistency with the solubility rules from different sources.

especially when it comes to SO4(negative 2 charge).

my teacher told me: soluble except when combined with Ca2+, Ba2+, Sr2+, Pb2+... however, other sources sometimes include Hg(II) 2+, and some Ag+, and some both Hg(I) and (II).... so confusing.

any ideas?

also... not as important, but what is the format of the AP test?
    I know its 75 MC and then 6 FRQs, but how much are the MC and FRQ sections scaled? And also, it seems that each FRQ varies in points?

2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2009 #2
    Insoluble sulphates (in order from the most insoluble to the least insoluble):
    Ra2+, Ba2+, Pb2+, Sr2+, Hg22+, Ca2+, Ag+.
    Their pKsp:
    10.4, 10.0, 7.7, 6.5, 6.2, 5.0, 4.8

4. May 10, 2009 #3
    Thank you very much, lightarrow!

5. May 10, 2009 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

You see, the problem is that soluble/insoluble is not zero or one, it is governed by Ksp - so you have to put the limit somewhere. CaSO4 is considered insoluble, but saturated soluition is about 0.005M - not bad for "insoluble" salt. For Ag2SO4 saturated solution has even higher concentraion.

6. May 10, 2009 #5
    http://www.collegeboard.com/student/testing/ap/chemistry/samp.html --> Sample F/R Questions

Good luck!:biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook