1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Other AP Physics C and College Introductory Physics

  1. Aug 13, 2016 #1
    Hi everyone,
    I want to know that if a five on Ap Physics C exam can replace college's two introductory physics courses. Also, what topic should I study after Physics C that helps me to be better off in college higher-level physics?
    Thank you.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2016 #2


    User Avatar

    Staff: Mentor

    Different colleges/universities have different policies on AP credit. Some schools don't give AP credit at all. Others may require different scores in order to give credit. You need to look on the web sites of the colleges that you're interested in.
  4. Aug 16, 2016 #3
    I think most colleges in the US will give credit for a 5, but as jtbell suggested, you should check with individual schools. AP Physics C is broken up into mechanics and E&M, and if you got a 5 on both tests, you could get credit for two courses. However, my school gave me credit from my AP test for the course but not the lab section of E&M, so this is something to watch out for. After AP Physics C, you would be ready to move into waves and optics if you haven't covered it yet, thermodynamics, and really any aspect of modern physics at the introductory level. Most introductory general physics textbooks cover these topics in the latter chapters. Of course you could also continue with further study of mechanics and E&M.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted