AP Physics C and College Introductory Physics

In summary, the conversation discusses whether a score of five on the AP Physics C exam can replace two introductory physics courses in college. It is mentioned that different colleges have different policies on AP credit and it is recommended to check with individual schools. The topics to study after AP Physics C are also mentioned, including waves and optics, thermodynamics, and modern physics. Further study in mechanics and E&M is also suggested.
Dng1233
Hi everyone,
I want to know that if a five on Ap Physics C exam can replace college's two introductory physics courses. Also, what topic should I study after Physics C that helps me to be better off in college higher-level physics?
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Dng1233 said:
I want to know that if a five on Ap Physics C exam can replace college's two introductory physics courses.
Different colleges/universities have different policies on AP credit. Some schools don't give AP credit at all. Others may require different scores in order to give credit. You need to look on the web sites of the colleges that you're interested in.

Likes Dng1233
I think most colleges in the US will give credit for a 5, but as jtbell suggested, you should check with individual schools. AP Physics C is broken up into mechanics and E&M, and if you got a 5 on both tests, you could get credit for two courses. However, my school gave me credit from my AP test for the course but not the lab section of E&M, so this is something to watch out for. After AP Physics C, you would be ready to move into waves and optics if you haven't covered it yet, thermodynamics, and really any aspect of modern physics at the introductory level. Most introductory general physics textbooks cover these topics in the latter chapters. Of course you could also continue with further study of mechanics and E&M.

Likes Dng1233

1. What is the difference between AP Physics C and College Introductory Physics?

AP Physics C is an advanced high school level course that covers both mechanics and electricity and magnetism. College Introductory Physics is a first-year college course that typically covers mechanics in the first semester and electricity and magnetism in the second semester. College Introductory Physics is usually more rigorous and in-depth compared to AP Physics C.

2. Are there any prerequisites for taking AP Physics C or College Introductory Physics?

Most high schools require students to have completed a year of Algebra-based Physics before taking AP Physics C. For College Introductory Physics, it is recommended to have a strong foundation in high school level math, such as Algebra, Geometry, and Trigonometry.

3. How does AP Physics C prepare students for the AP exam?

AP Physics C covers all of the topics included in the AP Physics C exam, such as mechanics, electricity and magnetism, and calculus-based problem solving. The course also includes practice exams and review sessions to help students prepare for the AP exam.

4. Is AP Physics C equivalent to a college-level course?

Yes, AP Physics C is considered equivalent to a first-year college level course in physics. It is designed to be more challenging and in-depth compared to a typical high school physics course.

5. Can AP Physics C and College Introductory Physics count for college credit?

Yes, many colleges and universities offer college credit for students who score well on the AP Physics C exam or earn a high grade in College Introductory Physics. However, the credit policy varies by institution, so it is important to check with your specific college or university for their requirements.