AP Physics C rotational Energy

In summary, the smallest value of h for which the sphere will not leave the track at the top of the loop is 2.7R - 1.7r, taking into account the force of norm exerted by the track on the sphere.
ducnguyen2000
1. A uniform solid sphere of radius r starts from rest at a height h and rolls without slipping along the loop-the-loop track of radius R as shown.
a) What is the smallest value of h for which the sphere will not leave the track at the top of the loop?

Attempt:

Homework Equations

[tex]\Delta[/tex]PE = mgh - 2mgR
[tex]\Delta[/tex]KE = 1/2 mv2 + 1/2 Iw2
ac = v2/R
v = rw

The Attempt at a Solution

mgh = 2mgR + 1/2 Iw2 + 1/2 mv2
I = 2/5 mr2
mgh = 2mgR + 1/5 mr2w2 + 1/2 mv2
N = mg - mac = mg - mv2/R = 0
v2 = gR
mgh = 2mgR + 1/2 mv2 + 1/5 mv2 +2mgR = 2.7mgR
h = 2.7R

however, this answer is wrong, and the correct one is h = 2.7R - 1.7r. can anybody correct me on this?

Physics news on Phys.org
N is the force of norm exerted by the track on the cart at the top of the loop by the way

haha, nvrmind, i figured out what i did wrong.

1. What is rotational energy in AP Physics C?

Rotational energy is the energy an object possesses due to its rotation. It is a form of kinetic energy and is dependent on the object's moment of inertia and angular velocity.

2. How is rotational energy calculated in AP Physics C?

The formula for rotational energy is E = 1/2Iω², where E is the rotational energy, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity. This formula can be used to calculate the rotational energy of any object that is rotating.

3. What is the difference between rotational energy and linear energy in AP Physics C?

The main difference between rotational energy and linear energy is the type of motion they are associated with. Rotational energy is associated with an object's rotation, while linear energy is associated with an object's linear motion. Additionally, rotational energy is dependent on an object's moment of inertia, while linear energy is dependent on an object's mass.

4. How is the conservation of energy applied to rotational energy in AP Physics C?

The conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred from one form to another. In the case of rotational energy, if there are no external forces acting on an object, its total energy (including rotational energy) will remain constant. This means that as the object rotates, its potential energy may decrease, but its rotational energy will increase to compensate for it.

5. What real-life applications involve rotational energy in AP Physics C?

Rotational energy is involved in many real-life applications, such as the rotation of a bicycle wheel, the spinning of a top, or the movement of a gyroscope. It is also important in understanding the behavior of objects in space, such as planets rotating around a star. Additionally, rotational energy is used in the design and operation of machines and engines, such as turbines and propellers.